Macbook with the 9c89 Display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcewanmac, Nov 5, 2008.

1. mcewanmac macrumors newbie

hi Guys,

I got a 2.4 Macbook yesterday and have the 9c89.

I am not being picky or anything. I had a MBP but returned it due to it being too big for travel.

My first MB had a scratch on it, the second was very slow, then I tried a MBP, it was too big. Now I have the 9c89. What is going on at Apple!?

Shall I return it again?

2. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have the same....with a dead pixel too.

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

Correction.....your being picky :D

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

If you're unhappy return it.

I don't really believe the other display is much better, but I've never seen it in real life.

Consider the Macbook Air. Extremely good display.

5. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I have the same display and for some reason, I don't seem to have a problem with it like most of the people here do. Then again, I only paid $999 for my aluminum macbook so maybe that's why.

Or maybe not. *shrug*

6. svndmvn Guest

it doesn't really depend on the code..try getting your money back and waiting a little longer for some better displays with no dust or bad pixels..and why was that macbook slow?

7. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

How?

8. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Ebay.

To be honest, it wasn't brand new but it was only used a few days before the seller didn't want it any more. Anyway, he listed the auction with a Buy It Now price of $1299 + free shipping.

$1299 - $200 (cashback from Microsoft Live search) - $100 (from Ebay 10% coupon) = $999

It was just too good of a deal to pass up. The only "problem" the macbook has is that a few of the function keys are slanted but it's not really a big deal to me considering I change laptops every 6 months anyway.

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I would. You'll already returned it 2 times, why settle now. Think about a Macbook Air this time. I'd also look into a used (plastic) macbook from an Apple authorized reseller. Check it carefully, and buy what you like.

10. mcewanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Macbook (late 2008) Monitor 9C89

Resolved!

I returned the Macbook today and got a replacement. It's perfect!

Also, I placed it next to the infamous 9C8C (of which there were 8 in the Apple Store) and it (and the old one) were all exactly the same in colour, viewing angles. It was also very very similar to the MBP.

I'm done.

11. amsukalski macrumors newbie

You're saying the MBP was similar to the 9C8C panel, or your new MB (presumably with a different panel)?

12. mcewanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

9c89 Monitor on Macbook

I am saying that my new Macbook was almost identical to the MBP and identical to the 9C8C.

It's all a fuss about nothing. Believe me. I felt like a nonce comparing them all, since they were all identical.

13. northy014 macrumors regular

How do you check what display yours has? Mine is fine, I just want to know. This thing is great - I just can't get over the fact that I look up to the top right corner and it tells me I have 5 hours battery left!

14. mcewanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I just went into display settings / color / then viewed number 13.

It is in there

15. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Just to clarify, so you did get a replacement with the 9C89 screen but looking perfect like other (not 9C89) screens?

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

happened to me

Got a replacement 9C89 2.4 MB after paying additional (with no restocking fee) after exchanging my original 2.0 9C89 MB. Also used 'perfect' display profile from forums. Love it. Watched Sweeney Todd and Steve's black on black apple keynot without losing either my eyes or my sanity.

It could have been the perfect profile, but I'm convinced the newer 2.4 display has a better display.

Or, maybe it took a trip or two to the Genius Bar at the back of the Apple Store for the RDF to hit and saturate.

17. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

It's possible not all screens of the same model are exactly alike. This is one of the reasons why I've never been convinced 9c89 screens are necessarily any worse than the 9c8c, and is why I think people shouldn't worry about which screen they get.

18. mbleopard macrumors regular

Whats the deal with the 9c89 and 9c8c? Im looking to get a new macbook or macbook pro and i have seen a couple threads about the new screens. Are there problems with one of them, should I try to get one and not the other?

19. sirozha macrumors 6502

I didn't use to think there was a problem with the display that came with my aluminum Macbook (9c89), but today I have found a very easy test that shows the glaring problem with the display. If you open Chess, go to Chess -> Preferences, change the pieces to Marble, exit the Chess Preferences and with the chessboard on the screen start tilting the display (or the entire Macbook) backward away from yourself, you will see that at about 135-degree angle (between the horizontal plane and the display) the black chess pieces get washed out and start going to the negative image.

I did the same test on the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air (both previous generation), and the same effect is seen at the angle much more obtuse than that of the Macbook. So, at this point I have no doubt that the screen on the Aluminum Macbook is inferior to both Macbook Air's and Macbook Pro's.

20. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Don't worry about it. My whole point is that the differences the posters on this forum are talking about (regarding the macbook screen models, not pro or air) are probably just the placebo effect in action. There has been no proof so far that one is consistently better than the other.

My advice is go pick up your Macbook or MBP, and see if you like it yourself :) Don't base your buying decisions on speculation in this forum over which screen is better than the other.

21. mcewanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I have one with a 9c89 and it is perfect. And to clarify, all the screens where identical in quality, colour and viewing angle. There were about 20 in total. I am a photographer, so I understand colour, light and attention to detail.

22. mcewanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

This is ridiculous. I guess you are a screen expert? The MBP and Air change colour, saturation and 'look' if you tilt the bloody screen. It's how they work. Go into any Sony store and tilt the screen of a $4,000 laptop. They will be identical as is the MBP - it is the graphic card(s) that are different!

It is all a fuss about nothing and we are putting off people with these stories. I was thinking I had bought a lemon, and it is the nicest screen I ever had.

Let me repeat. All screens MBA, MBP and MB were all identical even with different codes. All this is down to speculation, rumour and gossip. Do you really think Apple would risk the launch of a new product in this market? Dream on.

23. pw1388 macrumors member

I don't think its the graphics card. The graphics may improve the performance of the computer as in video wise but when u see something at angel its really depends on the screen itself. For this reason we should all go back to the good CRT Monitor days right guys?!!?!?!? lol

24. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I have a 9c89. I have no dead pixels. There isn't any tearing. No wash out. Looks just fine to me. Only thing I could find wrong with this MB was a couple of the function keys have a tilt to them. No biggie. I'm not going to play the swap game over that.

25. sirozha macrumors 6502

You also have a hot head as I can tell from your tone. Calm down. I personally own a 1st generation Macbook Air as well as the new aluminum (or aluminium if you wish) Macbook. One of my coworkers owns a previous generation Macbook Pro. The test with the chessboard on the screen that I described in this thread was done at home with my Macbook and Macbook Air sitting side by side. Then at work, I repeated the test comparing my Macbook with my coworker's Macbook Pro. I am no expert in laptop screens. Neither am I a photographer, graphic artist, etc. I am telling you what the human eye sees when you start tilting the display and the fact that the angle at which the black chess pieces go to negative image on the Macbook is much (MUCH) more acute than that of either the Macbook Air or the Macbook Pro. Instead of ranting here, do the same test for yourself. This is not to say that the Macbook's display is unusable. For your daily tasks like text editing, web browsing, or IT work, it is quite acceptable. However, as a photographer, you should be interested to see it for yourself that graphical properties of this screen are inferior to those of the Macbook Air and the Macbook Pro.