MacBook Woes :|

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattthemutt, Jan 10, 2008.

1. mattthemutt macrumors regular

mattthemutt

I currently have a C2D MacBook (1.83Ghz) which I purchased in February 2007.

A few months ago, the display started to flicker. Apple told me it was the display inverter failing, and they repaired it. Then, the handrests started to discolour, and fall apart. Apple repaired that as well. Now, the display inverter is failing again; the screen is flickering, and I've had four kernel panics in the past 24 hours.

I'm very worried that things are starting to go very wrong for my Macbook, and my warranty expires on February 28th, 2008.

I'm going to take it to the Genius Bar, but do you think that I have any right to some sort of compensation for the amount of trouble this computer has had? i.e. Can I ask for Applecare as assurance against the fact that it's likely to fail again?

I know that's probably asking a lot, but this computer has had its share of problems, and I'm quite frustrated with the quality of the machine; Apple's image is tarnishing in my book. (That doesn't mean that I'll stop being a loyal customer though :D)

Thanks!

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I don't know about compensation but you should defiantly get apple care for your machine it extends the warranty for 3 years.

3. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

Yeah, but I'm a starving student, and Applecare is not cheap.

$300 CAD seems like quite a lot for a warranty that protects from the manufacturing defects.

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Better to spend $300 now than $700 for a new mainboard later on.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I know it's expensive but hey, it is cheaper than either having to repair it your self or having to buy a new one.

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I wouldn't bother with the compensation route, but... this is your third repair? And it's shown itself to be a recurring issue? To me, seems like those circumstances demand a replacement machine rather than a repair. It's shown itself to not hold up well to repair, so they should replace it.

Never mind the Genius Bar either - just describe your experience straight to a manager - Apple's customer service is usually so good I'll be shocked if they don't give you a brand new one on the spot!

7. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

Hehehe..... I like the sound of that.

How do I get around to doing something like that?

Do I talk to a manager at an Apple Store, or do I call Apple/E-mail them?

8. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

If you bought in-store, take it back to the store. Otherwise you could call and complain over the phone too... the people on the phone service are equally obliging. Alternatively call your nearest store and speak to the manager.

9. MacDude415 macrumors member

MacDude415

Good Luck! Let us know how everything works out.

10. Billy Bob macrumors regular

The macbook has been a gross disappointment for many of us. We all need to yell and scream as loud as possible to make sure that mac doesn't go down this path, and produce more poor products like the macbook

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Most MacBooks are fine like 95% have no problems and second Mac is the operating System Apple is the company.

12. djchange macrumors newbie

djchange

Wrong.
    OS X is the operating system, Mac is the productline, Apple is the company behind both :>

13. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This is a bit of a late reply and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it: get your apple care on ebay. I can't remember how much I paid for mine but it was around the $100 mark. The money is well worth it - I'm pretty sure had I paid full price, it would have paid for itself...

Anyway, I came across this thread because i was looking into screen flicker issues with macbook. I'm just curious, how bad was yours? My screen flickers, but the flicker is short lived (so it flickers a bit, then goes back to normal) and random. It can be fine for a long period of time.