MacBook Woes...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iRebecca27, Sep 1, 2008.

1. iRebecca27 Suspended

iRebecca27

I LOVE my MacBook, I got her the day after they came out. May 18, 2006.

The problem is, she is going looney. Olga [that's her name,] goes into Kernel Panic about every 15 minutes. She also freezes about every 5 minutes.

I have gone to numerous Genius Bar appointments, and each time they say there is nothing wrong, even though it took them 15 minutes to get their CD out of her broken Optical Drive.
    Olga is a good machine, but she has narcolepsy. Any ideas on what to do?

I am at a loss. She is no longer under warranty, but the Kernel Panic and broken optical drive drives me crazy! What can I do?

2. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Does anything specific cause the kernel panic? If so, try to make it happen again in front of a genius; if you don't know what's happening, then try to just show the genius that if you wait long enough, then it will kernel panic and they will tell you what's wrong. Just to be safe, I would back all of your data up in case you have to replace the machine anyway. However, try your hardest to make it work again.

3. iRebecca27 thread starter Suspended

iRebecca27

I back everything up on an external hard drive. its a long story, but a few months ago everything on her got erased because the Apple employees told me to restore her to the original OS tiger.

It didn't help.

her optical drive was the original problem but they deny anything is wrong

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Thats pretty poor that the AppleCare guys didn't replace it (was it under warranty at the time?). I would go to another Apple Store and kick up a fuss.

Are you young? I would take a rather large intimidating guy along with you, they listen then ;)

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If it is under warranty, and they are clearing having issues with the drive, tell them there and then that you bought AppleCare and demand that they replace it as it is clearly defective. If you are a kid, get a demanding adult to go along.

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Maybe this will help you figure out the kernel panics she's experiencing
    http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/kernelpanics.html

And as for the drive, you'd have to pay to have that replaced, or else buy an external optical drive.

However I doubt that apple employees are going to take any steps towards resolving the issue, as she is no longer covered by warranty.