Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mimosamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Hi All,

I have a 13" macbook, 1.83 mhz machine. Hadnt had it online in a while, updated software. Somewhere along the lines it did a firmware update and i got a message that it failed. After the machine rebooted, it never started up again - went completely useless on me. I start it up, the cdrom spins briefly then it just sits there with the bluetooth on solidy. No fan, no hdd action nothing.

I tried all the different resets I could find on here, even burned the firmware restoration cd 1.2 from apples site. Tells me to hold down power till the light starts flashing, insert the cd and it should restore the firmware. No go. Nothing happens. The lights flash, i put in the cd, then it spins for maybe 30 seconds, stops, and thats it.

Any ideas? Did this thing somehow get fried? (i cant see how...)

Thanks,
Adam

heySparky

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Oregon
zap the PRAM?

To reset PRAM, first shut down your computer. Turn the computer back on and immediately press and hold Command-Option-P-R until you hear the startup sound for the second time.

pinetree99

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
me too!

This just happened to my wife's Macbook too -- installed firmware update, restarted, and....zilch. Nothing. CD drive makes a noise, battery light flashes a few times--I keep power button down until flashing stops, and then...nothing. Screen stays dark the whole time.

I tried zapping PRAM, too, as instructed above--again nothing. And yes, power cord is attached and live.

pinetree99

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Fixed problem!

What appeared to have happend to me is I interrupted the firmware update. I fixed it by burning myself (via another computer) a firmware restoration CD:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303489

Follow instructions on Apple site to burn, then install, this on the broken macbook. Then wait--patiently--for process to work itself through. All is now well with my wife's macbook.

heySparky

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Oregon
What appeared to have happend to me is I interrupted the firmware update. I fixed it by burning myself (via another computer) a firmware restoration CD:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303489

Follow instructions on Apple site to burn, then install, this on the broken macbook. Then wait--patiently--for process to work itself through. All is now well with my wife's macbook.

Excellent followup post!

tioga

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
Hi! I have MacBook 13inch Late 2006. I updated the firmware, then i did not do the shutdown properly. After that happened, i turned on my Macbook. What happen is my Macbook keeps loading with gray Apple logo. I turned it on for 2 hours and it keeps loading. Then, i burned the restoration firmware cd 1.3. It did not work. Still keeps loading. I burned another restoration firmware cd 1.4, still the same thing. Can you guys help me what happen with my laptop? Many thanks ...

janlerry

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Need help badly too!!!

Also have the same problem, macbook (13-inch), did the software update online. The firmware update failed and it does not boot anymore :( What is the firmware restoration cd version should I use, i'm still looking for someone else around my location who has a macbook so I can burn the cd. Does it take long before the restoration starts? do I insert the CD after the 3 sets of blinks? Please help, mac newbie. :apple: Thanks!!!

tioga

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
I think the best way to do is insert your MAC OS X Leopard and make an install and archive. In this way, you only install the OS but don't worry to loose the documents. I already fixed my macbook and now it works!

janlerry

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
But it doesn't boot at all, nothing on screen, just plain black. When I press and hold the power button it does the 3 blinks though. Me and my friend will try to burn firmware restoration cds later, i just don't know which one would work for me, i'll burn a 1.3 1.4 1.6 1.7. Hope this works :( Any helpful tips from mac experts before I try to fix the macbook later??? :)

janlerry

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Firmware Restoration CD - interrupted Firmware update

Hi, no luck for me, tried Firmware Restoration CD 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.6 and 1.7, does anyone have a 1.0 or 1.1 version? need help, Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.