Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pqdbr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Hi guys. Last night I installed Leopard's Graphic Update.

I can't boot my macbook since then. Stuck at the gray screen with apple logo. Here's what I already tried to do:

Boot with leopard DVD and run Repair Disk - it tells me the disk appears to be ok.
If I click on repair permissions tough, it takes a long time and then hangs. Nothing happens, the progress bar even stops spinning.

I then tried to boot with Disk Warrior 4.0 (it's the version I have). I tried reparing disk and files permissions there, and it worked ok. But I can't boot after it as well.

Again in Disk Warrior, I tried clicking REBUILD to get my file directory back and retrieve my files, but after some seconds it states there is not enough memory. I hope this is RAM memory, because I just ordered a pair of ram chips, Im gonna upgrade it to 2gb (I only have 512mb ram, first gen intel macbook core duo)

So ... tried SAFE MODE (shift), nothing.

Single user mode, typing fcsk -y , reports the disk is ok, but nothing as well.

I have a time machine backup from 11 days ago (apple makes it so easy to backup and I cant even bother plugging in my lacie firewire external hd, retarded me), and for me that´s kind of unnaceptable .. I go to university and thats 2 weeks worth of priceless annotations, I really need to get them back.

Any ideas ? =/

Felipe Raul
Brazil

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I had a similar problem. I have the verbose boot activated, and it would tell me "no bootable drive" or something like that. All I did was hold the option key, select Macintosh HD, and it booted fine. To keep it that way, I went into disk utility and made sure the boot disk was set to Macintosh HD.
This fixed my problem.
However, I had recently removed a boot camp installation of XP, so that may have been giving me that error, not OS X, necessarily.

Hope that helps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.