Macbook wont boot after ram movement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrzeve, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

So basically heres what happened.

I was trying to upgrade the ram in a white Macbook (2006).

I opened it up, took out one slot, and noticed that the ram I had to upgrade with did not match. I put that ram away, and reseated the original ram. I closed the medal lever, and I put the battery back in.

Pressing the power button does nothing. The green light on the charger goes on, and the battery indicates a full charge, but absolutely NOTHING happens when I press the power button. No chime, no blinking sleep light, nothing.

Now I've read lots of people say that if you don't push the ram in far enough this will happen. I think if I tried any harder my hand would go through the computer. My fingers still hurt from last night. For this particular problem - if the ram was not seated properly, would there be absolutely no response like the one I have indicated? Or is the logic board fried because I did something as simple as putting the original ram back in 10 seconds after it was out.

I'd really appreciate any kind of help here.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Try reseating the ram again. If that doesn't work, take it to a genius. If you've damaged the unit doing the install, you're out of luck.

And because of ethical, moral and philosophical reasons, I'm NOT going to suggest that you try to pull the old 'I dunno, it just quit working...' trick with the genius. That would be wrong.

3. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried reseating a bunch of times...

I just don't understand how something that apple describes as a "easily user serviceable part" can break when I followed the instructions to the dot. I've done things like these hundreds of times in the past.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Typically, if the RAM is improperly seated, the machine will not chime, it will have a black screen and the power LED will pulse in groups of three.

First step is to take out the RAM you have been trying. The machine works fine with only one module. If it boots up with only one original module, then it's either the other module, the installation technique, or the socket is damaged. If it doesn't boot with the module out, then you may have a problem that is entirely coincidental to the RAM install.

You will notice that there is a slot cut in the connector edge of the RAM -- this slot is off-centre, and has to match a key in the socket. IF you put the RAM in the wrong way around (the labels on the RAM are NOT an indication of which side is 'up') the RAM won't go in. If you push hard enough with the RAM the wrong way around, you can permanently damage the socket. That's not covered under warranty, so it would be the worst-case scenario.

If the RAM is the correct way with the key, then it pushes into the slot for about 1 inch, and stops. Then, you have to get both thumbs on the RAM and push it in another 1/8" (2mm) or so. There is not a positive click, it's more just a short nudge that you feel.

5. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah - this doesn't happen. Just nothing at all.

Tried with only one in different slots, but nothing happens. Also tried without ANY ram. Same result.

Put it in properly. Made sure a few times before I put it back in.

I think I just about pushed my hands through the computer. No benefit. I really don't know what to do.

Since you said it would generally pulse, what does it mean when nothing is happening? Doesn't that indicate its NOT a ram issue?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It would be very unusual for 2 working modules to go bad at once. Either you have a different problem unrelated to the RAM which just showed up coincidentally at the same time, or the motherboard has been damaged badly.

7. MacReleaf macrumors newbie

Macbook wont boot after ram movement

Hey mrzeve,

So what was the verdict with your macbook? I had the same issue this morning with mine. No sign of life at all with or without RAM installed in one/both of the slots and I tried various ram modules. I am quite familiar with how to change ram. I have done it numerous times on multiple macbooks/pros and am wondering if you can save me some time on a diagnosis??? Thanks in advance.

Chris