MacBook won't boot after software update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cams, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Cams macrumors regular

I have an Intel MacBook and just did a software update, one of which was a 49MB download for Intel Macs. After installing, it asked for a reboot. Thereafter it booted as far as a blue screen and then stalled. I held down the off button until it went off, restarted and it got no further. I left it for over half an hour to see if it would get past the blue screen, but it didn't. After a few minutes of blue screen, the fans ramp up.

I'm completely lost with Macs and don't even know where to begin. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Cams

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You could try the follwing "administration tools":

- Boot in Single User mode (Boot, and press & hold <COMMAND> <S> until you're booted into a black screen with white letters)
    - type: fsck -fy <ENTER> (now your HD will be checked and repaired if necessary, like in Disk Utility)
    - when it states "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok" (replace "Macintosh HD with your boot-volume's name), then:
    - type reboot <ENTER>

If the message is different to "... appears to be ok", i.e. something like "Filesystem is modified", repeat steps above until it does "appear to be ok" again.

You could also try resetting PRAM:

- Boot while pressing and holding <COMMAND> <OPTION> <P> <R>, until you have heard the statrup chime 3 times, and then let go of the keys.

Good luck.

3. AmeliaDarko macrumors newbie

I need help too

I tired installing the 'tiger install 10.4' disks on an old emac. It has 4 disks to the installation process but it stopped working after the second one. Now it looks like it's loading to start up with the white screen, apple icon and loading symbol then goes to a blue screen and stalls.

please help me!!!