MacBook won't boot from SSD, but is readable from Windows partition.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmaroon, Mar 9, 2014.

1. mrmaroon macrumors member

Hi guys,

So I swapped out my optical drive for an SSD, and boot OS X from the SSD. I have a bootcamp partition on my HDD.

Last night, while watching a film, everything froze up and became unresponsive (spinning beachball). I restarted, but when I restart the grey apple logo turns into a stop sign and will not change. I've resetted PRAM, tried to start in safe mode etc to no avail.

I can boot into my Windows partition on my HDD, which made me think the SSD is dead. However, everything on the SSD is readable (I'm finishing off the film I was watching when it froze!).

The recovery partition on the SSD won't boot either.

Am I going to have to wipe and reinstall? Is the SSD kaput? Is there some other way around it?

Cheers!

2. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Have you tried swapping them over? does it still not boot?

3. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Have you tried holding the "Option" key down during the boot process to select the proper drive?

4. mrmaroon thread starter macrumors member

I have, yes.

So on my macbook I have an SSD and a HDD.

SSD - OS X & Recovery partition
    HDD - Bootcamp.

Trying to boot into either OS X or Recovery doesn't work, but the HDD works fine. However, in windows I can access everything on the SSD. Weird!

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Put the SSD in the SATA slot and the HDD into the SuperDrive slot.

6. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

As yjchua95 said, switch the drive locations. If I remember correctly, the boot drive must be located at the original SATA slot. The extra drive can be located where the SuperDrive used to be located.