Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msizzle64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My friend asked me to check out her macbook (2.1 GHz 1 GB Ram 120 HDD) because it wouldn't boot up. only showed a solid grey screen with no apple logo or chime. i tried everything from going into safe mode, target disk mode, reseting p ram, inserting leopard dvd, holding c key, holding option key, ect. nothing but a grey screen. so i took out the hard drive and put it in a external case and re installed the ram (incase they were loose). i connected it to my macbook pro and os x gave me this error message, "Disk Insertion. the disk you inserted is not readable by this computer. is something wrong with the HDD or the software like leopard. then i opened disk utility on my mbp and did a disk repair. i got many red error messages so i just aborted the repair. so i took it out of the case and put it back in the macbook. it still shows a grey screen. but target disk mode now works but my mbp still gives me the disk insertion error. so then i tried the leopard dvd. i held down option and it showed up. now it booted from the leopard disk. but the installer doesnt show the hard drive. is the hard drive screwed?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 185

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Sounds like a HD failure. That sucks since it's new though, I'd take it back to Apple.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
First thing you ought to do is boot from the installer DVD and run Disk Utility's Repair option. It might be a simple fix. If not, the drive's filesystem may have been corrupted, requiring a reinstallation of the OS. If you have Disk Warrior (hopefully it's Leopard-compliant by now) you might give it a try, too. Of course, if there's a back-up of the volume, you could just use it for the reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.