Macbook won't boot, in any manner and don't know what to do

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Halfdane, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Halfdane macrumors newbie

Hi my macbook is acting very strange. It won't boot at all, from installation disk, in safe mode, I did everything, wiped RAM and PMU to default and still no starting. It turns on and power seems to be no prob but it chimes and then gets stuck on the WHEEL, not of fortune, but of DEATH! @_@ I started in verbose mode and it gave me similar jibberish as to what I will tell you it said in single user. Then in single user mode and this is what it said in single user mode.

USB caused wake event
    BSD root: dosk0s2, major 14, minor 2
    Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88, trying /sbin/mach_init
    Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88
    Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard" has not kernel dependency
    Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyEvent Driver" has not kernel dependency
    CSRHIDTransitionDriver::probe-2
    CSRHIDTransitionDriver:: probe booting a single user .. do not match

PS I can't type in either of these modes. Ive left the computer on for hours and it just gets hot. When I close the lid while its trying to boot it doesnt sleep. When I try to put the installation disk in it either does nothing or spits it out while i try to boot from it holding C. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I have installation disks of OSX and Leopard tried both. I don't care what happens to the memory on the HDD I just want the sumbish to gimme some desktop. I would just like to know what I gotta do. If I have to buy a new HDD then fine but I just dont want to take it to get fixed and get charged 200 for a lame part and some easy labor i could do myself . Thanks any comments are welcomed and helpful :eek:

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Hmm. Have you tried pulling the battery for a couple of minutes? If it won't boot from the Installer DVD, that's got to be something low-level.

3. Halfdane thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I took it out and put it back in, I also tried resetting the PMU and neither work.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

How do you wipe "RAM to default"? you meant PRAM reset?
    MacBook does not contain PMU, but it contains SMC. You meant SMC reset?

What happens if you hold option when you start up.

5. Halfdane thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I reset the PRAM and SMC. I just saw other people calling it different things so thats what I assumed they were. I held down option key and it allowed me to select the Mac HD. Then it chimed and went to the wheel of death again and hours later it is still spinning.:mad:

6. Halfdane thread starter macrumors newbie

still dont know what to do......should I just buy a new HD and assume this one is done ?

7. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

The problem has to be something other than or more than just a hard disk issue.

For one if it was a HD issue then you would be able to Boot from a Disc.

I would take it to get checked out.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

On a last ditch effort - have you checked the RAM? Not sure if it was replaced or original but I had similar symptoms when I upgraded my RAM and didn't seat one all the way.

If not - sounds like another logic board...:(

9. Halfdane thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya ive looked at the RAM and it seems to be ok. They are of the same build and are installed properly. I even took them out and tried booting each of them individually and that didnt work. What is a logic board?

10. Halfdane thread starter macrumors newbie

I have another macbook with me. Is there anything I can do that would involve connecting them or something that might help?

11. Katelynn1110 macrumors newbie

you know it might not be anything. I got my first macbook a while back ago and It would freeze on me then it wouldn't turn on at all. I know its not the same symptoms as your macbook, but I am just saying there might not be anything you can do. I took my macbook to the apple stor and they replaced it. Sometimes that just happens. Good Luck on your computer.

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I don't think there's much you can do if you can't even get it to boot.

If you're concerned about your data, you can always swap the drive with your spare computer and copy it. This will also confirm your drive is okay.

The logic board is the mother of all boards. It houses proc., GPU, essentially everything runs through it or is attached to it.

13. Halfdane thread starter macrumors newbie

FIXED IT ....i just fixed it and wanted to let ppl know how. I turned on the macbook while holding down C and then inserted the Leopard install CD while still holding C key as the macbook continued to start up. Then i heard the disk drive moving around so I let go of the C key after about 1 minute. then I left for about 30 minutes and when I got back the installation screen was up and now im installing.

However there is apparently still space being taken up on my HD. It said during installation that my 111GB HD had only 92 gb of free space to install on. Any way of me getting this space back (i dont need to save any of the data)?

14. Halfdane thread starter macrumors newbie

ACTUALLY I didn't fix it. The install went all the way until it was ready to start installing the files and then an error message popped up and said that there was insufficient information needed to install. Then I had to restart. Next I tried to install the OSX 10.4 CD but have only got a folder with a question mark. So I cant install leopard and cant boot 10.4 . Sorry for the false hope but any more help ?

15. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you've got another MB, switch out the hard drives. It's pretty easy. If the questionable MB boots and runs with other HD, you've got a bad HD.

You may also want to run disk utilities on bootup from CD to check and reformat the HD with problems.

16. t924 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem-the HD is gone.

I had the exact same problem, the HD and some additional parts failed. Apple replaced under warranty. What was interesting about the experience is that the rep at Apple Support, nor the people at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store had ever seen the screen with the file folder and the question mark. No one knew what it meant, although the tech at the store did know that he couldn't recognize the HD when he hooked a diagnostic tool up to it.