Macbook wont boot, isight light blinks when power pushed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Iamtherealwoody, May 28, 2008.

1. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I installed 10.5.3 about an hour ago, and about 5 minutes ago my macbook just shut off instantly while I was on safari and ichat. When the computer shut off, the isight light blinked on and off, so I shut the screen and removed the battery and reset the power management (held power while battery and AC power is off). The computer will NOT boot what so ever, the only thing that happens when I hold the power button is that the isight's green indictor blinks repeatedly while the power button is depressed. I have a 2 gig ram upgrade but Im thinking this is a power/lb issue or something big.

Any ideas?

2. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

No one? Well I called applecare and theyre sending me a box, thank god for applecare! I also put the factory ram back in, and still nothing. The flashing isight LED has to be some sort of indicator, although nobody who Ive spoken to knows, not even at applecare. Cant believe I got no responses, no condolences or nothing :(

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry- I think that's a new one for all of us. Let us know what happens.

4. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Thanks, I'll definitely update when I find out what went wrong.

5. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Just found out it was the logic board and the main heat sink. Maybe it got too hot and burned out? Maybe I shouldnt be using Handbrake?

6. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Yeah i have to say this appeared to be a heat related issue.

How old was that mac and do you use it directly on cloth often (like a bed)

7. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

The mac is a late 06 model, have had it for 2 years now. I do not ever sit it on any cloth other than my lap, ever. It spends most of its time on a flat wooden desk. I had been converting a couple (4 or 5) DVD's to mp4 with Handbrake beginning about a week before it conked out, may be related or not. I am aware many people use Handbrake to do the same and the problem obviously isn't widespread for that issue. Other than that, the CPU never ran at higher than 81c, ever, around 60c at idle. But it did run at 79-81c for about 2 hours at a time converting those DVD's.

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I had an iMac aluminum that did something very similar, and I was using Handbrake as well. It started after I tried to rip 3 DVDs in a row and it just shut off. It did turn back on though. About 7 minutes after the incident, the CPU temp was around 80C. It kept shutting off every 30 minutes or so without using Handbrake after that. Thats when I took it to the Apple Store. They tried 4 times to fix it but couldn't and just gave me a replacement. I have not stopped using Handbrake, but I never do more than 2 hours of encodes at a time and I always run a program called smcFanControl at the same time as Handbrake and turn the fans up and have not had a problem since. So I would reccommend using it when you get your MacBook repaired/replaced.

Link to smcFanControl
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

9. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Had that installed, never thought to use it though, my fault I guess. So is this a common problem? I wonder if prolonged heating of the CPU above 80c destroys the logic board? I think the C2D is good above 90c but not sure about the other components.