Macbook wont boot of tiger install dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Crown16, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Crown16 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a macbook. I installed leopard on it while back but it originally came with tiger. lost the recovery cds. I want it back to tiger. When i put the original tiger dvd in it will say in cannot install the software. so i figured i use TDM to connect it to my imac(running leopard) I used disk utility to erase the HD and did repair disk afterwords. I tried to boot the dvd using the c button on the MB but i would respond and went to the question mark folder.

How can i get tiger back on my MB
    please don't ask me why i want tiger back and wnat leopard off its not really relevant.

thanks for any suggestions and help

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Tiger was not Intel based until 10.4.4, and not universal until 10.4.7, which is why your original disk isn't working.

You need a newer disk or your restore media.

3. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

It 10.4.6 disk, apple care themselves told me to use it cause they ''couldnt'' send me recovery disk. Told him what you just told me about 2 days ago the guy guarenteed me it would work. is there any other way to get it done?

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

all the startup options are Here but Command+C is the only one that says to boot from a bootable disc, which would be any HDD or DVD that is bootable.

edit: you said you lost the recovery DVDs, is that the tiger or leopard recovery DVDs? If it's a Tiger DVD you're trying that came with the macbook, it should work. If it's another Tiger DVD than there may be compatibility issues depending on the version/hardware.

5. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

lost tiger recovery dvd's. it is a retail version of tiger. 10.4.6, i also used it to install tiger onto a g4 cube..

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Honestly, I would just call AppleCare again...whomever told you they can't replace your discs was probably just too lazy to locate the relevant part numbers. Call in with the MacBook's serial number and any agent worth their salt will find the correct discs to replace. Note that such replacement discs are not free, and you'll probably end up paying anywhere from $35-$45 all told for both the OS and the applications install discs.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

No retail version of Tiger will install on an intel machine, no Tiger disks had the intel code on them. As mentioned above, call AppleCare again, they should be able to get you the disks you need.

8. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

ok guys, i will do that tomorrow, i had the feeling the guy i was talking to was lazy, he had to seriously ask his superviser if he could supply me with a retail version for 50 euros.