Macbook won't boot up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Techguy172, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Ok, so when I go to start my macbook it get's the the screen with the apple and then it goes to the to blue screen after and just get's stuck. I haven't changed anything on it.

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

My mac Doesn't chime when it starts just goes directly to the apple at the grey screen.

4. Alienbrain macrumors member

Alienbrain

Have you tried zapping the P-RAM? Your Mac might just need a kick. Command-Option-P-R on boot up.

The latest recommendation from Apple requires holding down the keys until the start-up sound has repeated three more times.

5. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

I Had to reinstall OS X I tried zapping to Pram earlier and then resetting it no go.

6. Alienbrain macrumors member

Alienbrain

Put put in your OS dvd and try rebooting with "c" pressed in and reinstalled it (using the archive and install option). The system should reboot again, and get back any login windows, logged in, and EVERYTHING should be identical: passwords, preferences, maps, startup applications.

I hope you back up everything in any-case, but this should solve your problem.

7. danno2022 macrumors newbie

i have that exact same problem
    just got my macbook last week
    this sucks
    i have tried everything to resolve this
    i don't want to reinstall the OS because it shows that it will use up more hard drive space, and i dont want to lose all that HD space
    what the hell could have caused this?
    is there any other way besided reinstalling everything?

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can customize the installation to install nothing but the OS, if you wish.

9. danno2022 macrumors newbie

really? but does that mean it is bare, no software or anything?
    i pretty much just want my computer the exact way it was
    software, files, everything, what should i do?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Use the disks that comes with your computer (gray disks) to restore. Unless you choose to change the things you install, you should have all the software as out of the box.

11. danno2022 macrumors newbie

i think this would solve it, don't get me wrong
    but it's just a damn hassle
    i just got this macbook last week
    i am a new user, and this is very disheartening
    should i reinstall? or just take it to the apple store and get a new one? and complain like a mad man?

12. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just Reinstall it mine has been working great since then.

13. cocomees macrumors newbie

Bring it to the apple store

A few weeks ago, my two-year old Macbook wouldn't go past the gray screen with the spinning disc. I keep it very clean, never download a thing, and wiped out my drive to reinstall everything 6 months ago to keep it fast.

So I tried several of these options:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1411

None of the online suggestions works for me so I just brought my Macbook installation discs that came with the computer to the macstore and they basically used another drive to start up my computer and used my discs to reinstall everything.

They said the problem may be with my software updates, something went wrong in that process.

Thankfully I didn't lose ANY of my data. I just have to reinstall some software.

If none of the online suggestions work, just bring it into the store if you have access.

14. freddy2fan macrumors newbie

My mac won't boot up either, and I want to reinstall, but I am having difficulties for several reasons.

First, I'm terrified of doing it the wrong way and losing all my files. I have backed up my computer, but not in a while.

Second, when I try to it says that I can't fit everything on my hard drive, even when I customize.

I'm kind of freaking out.

15. jy002k macrumors newbie

terminal to the resc

Hi,

My wife had a similar problem with her macbook (3,1 OSX 10.5, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD). We were fortunate enough to see when the problem started. She had downloaded a few pdfs to her desktop that seemed to freeze Finder when Finder tried to render the icons. To resolve the freeze we tried safe mode, disk utility, flashing PRAM, and most of the solutions above, but nothing worked. OSX froze before we could send the files to the Trash Bin so that wasn't an option either. Before reinstalling the OS or wiping the disk clean, I inserted the OSX install CD, started a terminal window, cd'd to the desktop where the pdfs were and used rm to delete the files. Then I restarted her macbook and the OS loaded with no problems and is still working fine. If you suspect that Finder is having trouble with a specific file, this might be a quick fix without losing everything. However, unless you are comfortable with linux/unix commands this might be challenging, and I'd recommend against deleting files willy-nilly, unless you know exactly what and where they are. Here are a few websites to get started with linux commands if you need help:

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/basic.shtml
    http://linuxcommand.org/

NOTES:
    1) Her Hard drive was called Macintosh HD. To cd into this directory use double quotes:
    cd "Macintosh HD"

2) User files are found in something like:
    /Volumes/[HDD]/Users/[user]
    where [HDD] and [user] are the names of your hard disk drive and user. For example: /Volumes/HDD/Users/jy002k

Good luck!