Macbook won't boot weird thing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gideon E, May 14, 2008.

1. Gideon E macrumors newbie

Hello ,
    I'm new to Mac OS , i have the laptop about 3 months .... , i reinstalled leopard everything worked great and after couple of hours the computer
    froze i pressed the reset button and the OS won't start since .
    i tried to boot from the Install Disk that came with the laptop and still , i inserted the disk reset and computer pressed C nothing happened ...... tried again and pressed D ....... and again with COMMAND + OPTION + P+R ......... COMMAND + OPTION + O+F ...
    taking out the battery unplugging the AC and pressing the power button ...... , when i press OPTION and select Install Disk as boot i get the gray screen with the spinning logo i tried it like that couple of times even left it for 2 hours and it didn't boot .

the computer can only operate if i press OPTION when booting and selecting windows partition .

I'm currently using Windows and the DVD works fine i don't have any problem with windows or any hardware or the Mac OS X Install DVD .

what's weird is that i can boot with Windows Installation Disk with no
    problems .

any ideas ?

Thanks
    Gideon .

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Do you have access to an Apple store? Maybe they can brute force wipe the drive.

Or if you have access to a 2.5" USB hdd enclosure and another Mac you can take the drive out, put it on the enclosure, and wipe the drive and reformat it. Start clean.

3. macdot macrumors 6502

When you Option Boot you should be given the option to boot from the install CD...

4. Gideon E thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying .

i don't think that there's any problems with the HD or the DVD/CD , I'm currently using Windows and i didn't saw any problems the HD and DVD/CD operates normally .

i also took out the HD out and tried to boot from the Mac Install DVD using OPTION Key all i got was a grey screen with apple logo and spinning circle ,
    i waited 10 minutes and replaced the Mac Install DVD with Windows Installation Disc pressed OPTION key and boot to windows installation .

5. ttymon macrumors newbie

macbook air hanging with spinning wheel

gents I seem to have same problem unable to reinstall mac my boot manager find the cd boot and hangs after awhile the only thing I can boot and install is windows xp which I think I have answer to that win is unaware op system of the nvram settings and I beleive there is something holding macos x from booting and our reset to the nvram dose not seem to clear all the settings , any idea someone

6. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Big electro-magnet perhaps?

I'm just kidding (no really, I am, put that magnet down!)

Sounds like what my old Mac Mini did. I put it down to a dicky hard drive, and I didn't have a Windows partition (seriously, why dirty your machine like that?) to boot from, so I went and downloaded Ubuntu and forced it to install over the entire hard drive, then after the entire drive was cleared i wrote over it again and reinstalled OS X.

In hindsight thats probably the long way round cause I could have scrubbed the disk using the Ubuntu live boot... meh.