Macbook Won't Boot with Full Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by scotty588, Mar 2, 2009.

1. scotty588 macrumors 6502

I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem on my friends Macbook, but I am not sure what to do next.

Basically even on a full charge the Macbook won't even boot up. Sometimes you'll hear the boot chime, but it will just turn off. I ran Coconut battery and it shows the current battery capacity at 4885 or 97%. It has 699 battery load cycles and is 28 months old. I realize this is pretty old, but this problem just started happening.

First thing I did was reset the SMC (turn off, disconnect AC, pull battery out, hold power button for 5 seconds, put battery back in, turn on). I tried this a couple times and it did nothing. I can't calibrate the battery since the system just dies when it doesn't have AC power, so the battery is fully charged right now.

The system has Applecare, so I am wondering if they will just replace the battery. One thing I haven't tried is resetting the PRAM, although I don't think that has anything to do with the battery correct?

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try the PRAM. I have a feeling that support might amuse once more you with resetting the SMC and PRAM as well before they consider a replacement.

3. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just reset the PRAM. Still shutting down right after the chime without the AC power connected.

4. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

Brought it to the Genius bar. They replaced it no problem.