MacBook won't boot...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kaibex, Jul 13, 2013.

1. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

I was using my 2010 MacBook fine last then then this morning I opened lid to send an email and had the rainbow spinning for about 10 mins. I then held power to turn it off and when I restarted it, just had a white screen. After a few minutes, a folder icon started flashing with a '?' In it.

I have tried to boot in recovery mode by holding 'cmd + R' and by holding options key but neither seem to do anything. Any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated!

2. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

3. madmacfan macrumors 6502

From what you have described, It sounds like your Hard Drive could have Died. Have you tried booting from a dvd, and if so are you seeing any signs of life.

4. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

Sadly I think it's the logic board, so couldn't be any worse! :(

5. madmacfan macrumors 6502

From what you have described, you have the folder with a question mark appearing on your screen, this would normally point to a an issue with the boot volume (Hard drive) and it may not necessarily be a logic board fault. I had a similar issue when fixing a mid 2010 white MB for a friend, Strangely enough the cmd R keys were not responding on that MB and inserting an osx install dvd while its still on, forcing shutdown by holding in the power button and pressing it again after a few seconds and immediately after holding down the option key (left alt key) for 3 mins, did it for me and I was able to boot from the dvd.

6. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

I had genius appointment and they couldn't get it to boot at all! Was quoted £436.80 for repair! #FML

7. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

I managed to get to disk utility and it gave a message 'hard drive seems to be ok' on attempting to recover 10.8 it has been on this screen for about half hour. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

8. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Glad to see you have managed to see some sign of life from your macbook,Yes when your mac starts to recover the os it does take some time, it can take up to an hour in some cases. I've fixed many Unibody white MacBooks displaying similar problems and in all that time i've only ever come across one with a logic board fault. The fact that you have managed to get into disk utility tells us it's very unlikely you have a logic board fault, as your mac has managed to boot successfully. When the recovery completes, if you have not already, be sure to back up all your data, just in case. let me know how you get on.