Macbook wont boot!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peterjc01, May 28, 2008.

1. peterjc01 macrumors newbie

hey everyone, well being dumb today, I went to right click on the mac hd icon and clicked on get info. I clicked on Ownership and Permissions and for the "everyone" section I chose None. Everything was fine till after I tried to boot up my macbook again and it just goes to the blue screen and it tries to load but stays at the blue screen.

I tried resetting the pram and that didn't work. Next put in the mac osx cd and ran disk utility to repair the drive and still nothing. Any ideas?

2. G-Com macrumors regular

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Macintosh-OS-1063/MAC-OS-X-won.htm

3. peterjc01 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks but i tried holding shift and i can't get into safe mode. I'm also thinking it could be a third party software I installed that was placed in my login items and I eventually removed all the apps from the login items window. Just not sure if this is the cause or if the ownership and permission tab is the problem.

4. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

Put in os x CD
    Hold down Option while launching
    Go to preferences then first aid

5. peterjc01 thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing works still. I have tried running repair permissions and it says that it failed. Can't even get it into safe mode either. Is my only option to do a re-install?:(

6. peterjc01 thread starter macrumors newbie

just got off the phone with apple and we tried doing an archive and install but it didn't work, said install failed. So then I chose to just re install leopard and it says install failed again! The installer could not install some files in volumes/macintoshHD. Not even a fresh install fixes it. What other choices can I do now????

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Your hard disk may be failing.

Try this...

Use the Leopard DVD and boot. After selecting English, stop. Go to the Utilities Menu and run Disk First Aid. Select the actual drive device and erase it (name it first and select Extended Journaling). Now run Disk Verify on the new volume. If it fails, then your disk sounds like it's failing. If it passes, exit Disk Utility and proceed with the Leopard install. If the install fails, you will need to boot from the original disc that came with your computer. Boot from that holding down the option key until you get to the bootloader screen (blue screen with bootable volumes). Select the Apple Hardware test and run the quick and extended tests. If you get errors, write them down exactly as displayed. Post them here.

8. peterjc01 thread starter macrumors newbie

problem eliminated! I finally was able to do a complete erase and install of leopard. thanks though for the input!!