MacBook Won't Boot?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tbear1, Jul 12, 2008.

1. tbear1 macrumors regular

I need some help. When I try to start my MacBook, it stops booting after the chime and white screen. It doesn't go any further. I don't see the 'circular timer' going round, just a white screen.

Any ideas? I have an appointment on Monday at the Genius Bar, but would love to not have to go to the store.

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. superman193 macrumors regular

Hmm, corrupt OS, Bad hard drive? first things that come to mind..

3. tbear1 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't have any symptoms the hard drive was going bad (noises). I can hear the HD move from the park position when it trys to boot. It sound normal, just hangs up after the chime...

Glenn

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

You could always try the standard range of resolutions, eg, holding down Option when switching on to ensure that it's trying to boot from the HDD. Also you could try resetting the PRAM.

There's also a disk utility bundled with most Macs, isn't there?

5. superman193 macrumors regular

Yes, but its on the disks that came with the computer

@ tbear, why dont you try slaping in the disc that came with your mac, and hold down C while booting.

6. tbear1 thread starter macrumors regular

What happens when you hold down the option key during boot-up?

I checked the Apple website and they do mention resetting the pram. I don't want to make things worse...

Thanks,
    Glenn

7. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Have you tried resetting the Systems Management Controller (SMC)? Turn off the MacBook and remove the battery and unplug the charger. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds to drain the power out of the computer. Reinstall the battery and plug back in the charger. Try turning it back on and see what happens. Sometimes resetting the SMC solves different issues with Mac laptops.

The support article is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

Hope this might help you out there!

8. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Resetting PRAM is quite safe.

9. tbear1 thread starter macrumors regular

I pulled out the manual and it also suggested the option key during boot up. I did that and the trackpad pointer appeared but nothing else to select...

The next step in the manual says to install disc 1 and boot up. (Not the PRAM?) I can do the start-up disc, but I upgraded to Leopard. Should I use the Leopard install disc or the one that came with the MacBook.

Thanks for the suggestions.

10. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Resetting the PRAM does not harm the system, infact if you call apple support, that is the first thing they have you do. Hold down the Control - command - P - R buttons at boot. Use the Leopard CD, and open disk utility. Check to see if your disk is listed, and if it is, try repairing the disk, and repairing permissions. If the disk is not listed, then you may be happy scheduling an appointment, because your disk probably failed.

Don't Follow a manual step by step, its there for reference after all, and will not fix all problems. Listen to us :)

11. tbear1 thread starter macrumors regular

OK. Did the PRAM and no dice, same as before.

Installed the Leopard disc and held down the d key during boot-up. It did nothing. I could hear the disc spin, but same exact symptom. The computer did not go into any menu mode off the disc.

Looks like I will need to keep my appointment on Monday. :(

12. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Yeah that's serious. :(

It means it's probably not the hard drive. It could be something wrong with the motherboard. If it were the hard drive, it would at least come up with a boot selection option when you put the DVD in and held down Option.

Edit: Try putting your DVD in and booting up while holding down 'C' - not D.

13. tbear1 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, holding down C didn't do it. Well the only bright spot is that it may not be the hard drive...

Thanks.

14. tbear1 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, they got me back up and running. It ended up being a failed hard drive. Another warning to back up your drives, you never know when it could happen to you...

15. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I'm glad it worked out in the end. It's still bizarre that it wouldn't boot from the DVD though... :confused: