Macbook won't boot :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ref26, Dec 25, 2008.

1. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Ok this is kind of a long story but I want to make sure I put all the information out there so I can get the best possible help. So...

The other night, I was trying to upgrade my blackbook's HDD. I put the new drive in but my mac wasn't reading it, I think because I needed to format it first. It was working fine when I put it in an enclosure and used it with USB, so I decided it would be easier to just clone it using Sperduper! then swap them out instead of doing a fresh install. While it was cloning, I had the battery out and was running it plugged in since it would just be more hassle later when swapping the drives. Well, I decided to take the computer into another room and, forgetting the battery was out, unplugged it. Now, it won't boot at all. I get a black screen and the sleep indicator remains steadily on, but I do hear fan noises etc. I have an appointment at the Apple store for Saturday, and I'm just wondering what I should tell them. From what I've read in these forums my symptoms seem to indicate that my logic board may be fried, and I'm wondering if this could be related to my HDD swapping (even though it was working fine before I unplugged it). Should I let them know what I was doing when the problem occurred or just tell them it happened randomly? My Macbook is covered under Applecare, and I don't want to jeopardize them fixing it even though swapping hard drives shouldn't void the warranty. Thanks for any advice.

2. 156457 macrumors 6502

Say you had your battery on but it still went off.

3. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Something may be corrupt in the directory, have you tried rebooting with the Leopard cd in the slot? You could possibly do a system restore, or if all else fails, there's always this. http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html.

4. ref26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ref26

I tried to boot from the disc with no success, now I just have my install disc stuck in my Macbook that won't boot lol.

5. 156457 macrumors 6502

Hold down the space bar or mouse click after clicking your Mac on. Does the white screen show with the Apple logo btw? If it doesn't when you boot it hold down the power button for 5 seconds until the laptop cuts off, then boot it again. Hold C to boot it from Leopard and click the mouse button to eject the disk if you want.

6. ref26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ref26

I don't get to the white screen at all, it starts black and stays that way. Hpding down c didn't do anything either.

7. 156457 macrumors 6502

did you get the disc out though? you should get the white screen. start your mac and press and hold the power key firmly until it cuts off (should be a good 3 seconds) and then startup whilst holding the mouse button, the disc should come out.

8. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

to get the cd out, just hold down the eject key while booting up, it should spit it out.
    I think you should get diskwarrior and see what's going on.
    have you been messing around with kernels?

9. ref26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ref26

Neither holding the mouse button or the eject button was successful. No white screen, no disc ejecting. Trust me, I've tried everything, his baby isn't getting past the black screen. I'm not sure how I would run an application from this condition. I have my genius bar appointment tomorrow afternoon so we'll see how that goes.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

+1 on that. NEVER admit that you may have done something wrong or they will void your warranty. You dont know what happened, one minute it was working fine, the next it didnt boot anymore. play dumb

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

12. ref26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ref26

Thanks, I figured as much. To the other poster, I tried resetting the SMC, PRAM, etc, all to no avail.

13. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well you could always use Target Disk Mode if you have another Mac and install DiskWarrior of Drive Genius 2 on the other machine. Then all you need to do is treat your Mac like an external HD (through TDM) and run the software on your mac from the other mac (that sounds a bit confusing, but you know what I'm trying to say lol).

14. ref26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ref26

Ok so I took my baby in and the genius said it was most likely the logic board. They're taking care of it and I should have it back in a couple days, no questions asked. Yay!