macbook won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rogerthat, Aug 29, 2009.

1. rogerthat macrumors member

When my son's computer is turned on it just goes to grey screen.. I've tried a number of troubleshooting things...starting while holding "c" to boot with install disk...starting holding "shift" for safe boot. I did the PRM (?) reset thing holding Apple-option-p-r keys while starting and that did add the start up chime...before it would just go to the grey screen, no chime no spinning wheel...but still no boot.
    The computer is still under warranty but soonest appointment at Apple Store is 3 days from now!!!
    Any other ideas???

2. rogerthat thread starter macrumors member

3. msevild macrumors regular

If you could try one thing first...hold down option when booting your computer. If you get a grey screen with just a cursor then hate to break the news but its most likely that your hard drive is toast and chances of getting data off of it are very slim. If the hard drive does show up then it is still likely that the drive is bad, but chances for data recovery at an apple store are a little better. Just be prepared for a $99 Data transfer fee if you do want them to retrieve data and they are successful in doing so. If no data is recovered they charge no fee. Sorry for the bad news, but figured I'd get it out to you now. It is still possible for there to be something else, but in my experience grey screen 90% of the time indicates bad hard drive.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If the problem were with the hard drive, he would still be able to boot to the restore disk.