Macbook won't burn to DVD+R DL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gvelasquez88, Sep 3, 2012.

1. gvelasquez88 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry in advance if this topic has been discussed, but my situation is very specific, so please take the time to read it before flaming me.

I have a 2007 MacBook running OS X 10.6.7, and I'm trying to burn an ISO of Windows XP Pro, but I seem to be having very poor luck this evening. At first I was using Memorex DVD-R discs, and even on 1x speed, and using Disk Utility, BurnX 1.5, and Toast 11 Titanium, it refused to burn the ISO file. After doing some research I determined that MacBook Superdrives apparently hate Memorex discs. So I tried using Verbatim DVD+R DL discs (which most of the problem solvers on the forums I read listed as being one of the best brands, and essentially problem free). My MacBook won't allow me to write to them. Again, I used Disk Utility, BurnX 1.5, and Toast 11 Titanium. BurnX even went so far as to say "Free Space on Disk (mb)- 8152 (not recordable)". I tried multiple blank discs from both brands, using all 3 utilities with each disc to no avail. I'm at my wit's end here, and would appreciate any suggestions on what to do.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Sounds like it could be a problem with your Superdrive. Can you burn to any dvds?

3. gvelasquez88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Those are the only brands I have at my house currently. When my girlfriend gets back with the car I will be going to buy Verbatim, single layered DVD+R.

4. gvelasquez88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually solved the issue myself. Despite System Profiler stating that my SuperDrive can burn Dual Layer (DL) discs, it appears it could not. I went out and bought a pack of Verbatim DVD+R discs, and it worked perfectly. Thank you all for your input.

5. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

May I ask why you are attempting to burn Windows XP Professional onto a DVD? It should be an ISO 9660 format, which should work on a standard 700MB CD-R disc.

I do believe some of the PowerBook G4 units had DL capability, so it is odd that your machine will not do it.

If the ISO is about 700MB, it would attempt to split the data into 350MB per side to burn it to the DL disc, which could possibly violate some standard (too small?) I am just guessing on that.

Good you got it going, though.

6. gvelasquez88 thread starter macrumors newbie

All I had in my house at the time were the Memorex DVD-R and Verbatim DVD+R DL discs.