Macbook wont charge - battery or charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Muds, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Muds macrumors newbie

I have a 2 month old refurbished macbook which has been working fine up until tonight when it decided that it didnt want to charge.

I dropped some paper clips accidentally and one of them got stuck to my magsafe port on the computer (for literally 2 seconds) whilst it was running. The charger was in the other room so wasnt affected. Ever since, my macbook won't charge.

The light on the magsafe adapter wont light up when connected and unfortunately my battery was near dead prior to this hiccup leaving me stranded.

I have tried a number of different power points (the one I tried at work definitely worked as it was charging a defibrillator prior to me poaching the socket to boost my battery), reset the SMC and have done the option-command-P-R startup resets but to no avail.

Other than trying another charger or calling apple, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers!

2. taoski macrumors newbie

I guess that it is possible that the paper clip managed to short something through the magsafe port.

When my macbook would not charge it still lit up when i plugged the AC adapter in and I could use it on mains power ok.

Sounds like a trip to a local repair man or apple store is in order :(

3. Deej macrumors regular

This sounds very unfortunate :(

I'm surprised that the Magsafe connector is 'live' though - could it just need a complete power-down, battery off etc.?

4. Muds thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm confused but happier...

I've left my macbook alone for 6 hours and by some streak of luck, my charger has decided to work. I ran a hardware test and no faults were found. Hopefully the gremlins inside the mac have decided they dont want to play anymore.

Here's hoping... :confused: