MacBook won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by keymoo, Jan 7, 2011.

1. keymoo macrumors member

I've just been using my 2006 13" white MacBook with the power cable plugged in and just noticed that it is discharging. I look at the magsafe cable and the light was green but is now off. I have tried plugging the power into another socket that I know works but the same thing. It's just died.

When I put the power brick to my ear I hear a very low volume hum. What could be wrong?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

Note the links at the bottom of the "CHARGING" section.

3. keymoo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I've already seen those and have reset the SMC with the same issue. What I would like to try and determine is if the problem is the power supply or the logic board, power connector on the MacBook. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot that before I go out and buy a new power supply? I have a feeling (I know not very scientific) that the power supply is fine and the MacBook is at fault.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try a power adapter from another Mac. If it works, you know it's your adapter.

5. keymoo thread starter macrumors member

OK, I'll try and find someone with a Mac and do that. I've just seen a video on powerbookmedic.com that shows you how to replace the Magsafe board - l have a strong feeling that will fix it.

6. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Does your MB power on with just the charger lead connected, without a battery inserted?

7. keymoo thread starter macrumors member

No, it doesn't power up. However it does power up with the battery in, with whatever charge is left in it. I strongly suspect it's the Magsafe board, what do you think?

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I think it is the power adapter (charger).

9. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

if you cant turn your MB on with just the charger and no battery its the charger itself that is broken, its a safety default that allows you to use the charger without the battery.

10. keymoo thread starter macrumors member

You were right! I tested my friends power adapter and it works fine. Went out and bought myself a new overpriced 60W adapter and all is well, except my pocket is much lighter.