macbook won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Rock star poser, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Rock star poser macrumors member

I have a black macbook, and i've never had this problem before, but my macbook won't charge when i put it on charge even though the green light is showing on the charger.

The percentage is still 0% and when i disconnect my charger with the macbook it turns off

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You could try resetting the SMU. To do so, when off take out the battery and disconnect the power lead. Then press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

Then put the battery back in and reconnect the power supply

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

3. XmcbrideXprideX macrumors newbie

Do your software updates. Try calling up Applecare, if you get the right agent they will do all they can to replace that battery for you.

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

this is exactly what happened when my battery died for good. it wasnt that old at the time either. you can get a new battery from macmall like i did or contact apple if your under warranty for another.

5. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

My brother had the same issue with his 2006 or 2007 white Macbook. I believe that he used it on battery power until it was completely at 0% (using up the emergency/reserve power in the process), or left it in sleep for an extended period of time (causing the battery to drain completely) and now the battery does not charge, and he can only use it when it is plugged in.

Does an X appear in the menu bar where the battery icon should be? Have you tried these steps yet?

If it is out of warranty, they will charge you the full retail price ($130 US, $160 CDN) to send you a new one, which is what happened to him (except he didn't want to pay, so he still uses it with AC only). If you're lucky, they might send you one if it is recently out of warranty. Get me one too? :D

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Maybe it's time for a new battery? It sounds like your battery dies on you...Maybe a new one would solve the problem?

7. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Did you install the battery update?

Also go into the System Profiler, select Power and check the Full Charge Capacity. If the battery has 0, your battery is shot.

Also, try another power adapter. If you have access to another, or even if you don't, check the pins on the Magsafe connector. Check to see if any pins are stuck. If they are, it will cause issues with charging.