Macbook won't connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TommyFiz, Apr 14, 2008.

1. TommyFiz macrumors newbie

I HAVE searched, and have found this problem a few times, but the scenario is different. Most of the results I find are on home networks, where the fix was to reset the router. In my situation, I'm on a school network, connected through an ethernet cable in the wall.

I'm running an Intel Macbook with OSX Leopard, purchased in October. Last night I was using the internet just fine, then this morning I woke up and was unable to connect to the internet. I checked the network preferences and it says that there is a connection to the network, it's just not letting me use the internet.

I've also went down the hall in my dorms where another student has a wireless router, I connected to his wireless and again, network preferences said there was a connection, but I was unable to use firefox, safari, or ichat. I plugged my computer into many other students ethernet cables, that were working fine on their Mac's and PC's, but still had no success. I also had a friend plug their laptop into mine, to make sure it wasn't my cable or connection.

I've restarted the computer numerous times, with and without the ethernet cable in, and had it shut down for hours at a time still with no success

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Do you get an IP address when you are connected?

3. TommyFiz thread starter macrumors newbie

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You may have a corrupted PRAM (Parameter RAM) or corrupted hardware cache. I would:

1. Reset the PRAM (at boot, hold down cmd-opt-p-r keys until the third "bong" and then let go of the keys).

2. Boot in "safe mode" which does many things like clearing caches, running file system checks and making necessary repairs (fsck in unix), etc. To do this, reboot and when you hear the bong, immediately hold down the shift key until you see the "spinning gear" on the grey screen. At that point let go of the shift key. This boot will take some time as it is doing many things, but eventually you will have the login screen with "Safe boot enabled" message in red letters. You can then reboot normally and see if you still have the problem.

See if this helps.

5. TommyFiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this information, I've tried it and still no help. Well, perhaps it could have helped, as I am on the internet using the Macbook, but through a wireless router down the hall... Still not helping with the Ethernet situation, which is my main concern since I don't have wireless in my dorm.