Macbook wont Eject CD...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Avizzv92, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

Last night I put a CD into my laptop it ran the CD fine, after I was done I shut the computer down and went too bed. When I woke up I turned the computer on and tried too eject the CD but it would not, it does not even read the disc, or make any attempts at all to eject it. It does not seem stuck but it seems like the Mac doesn't know there's a disc in it... There is no sound from the CD drive when I hit eject. I also have XP installed with Bootcamp and tried ejecting it in Windows with same results.

Can anyone help, I also tried to restart while holding track pad button in but it did not work, and I have an Intel base Mac.

2. Latro macrumors member

you held the eject button while booting?

Are you sure someone didn't eject it while you're asleep.. ?

if your mac isn't reading it and windows isn't either... there may be no CD in the rive.

3. Avizzv92 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I held in the button.

And I am sure it's in there because when I try too insert another one it wont go in. Also there is no CD in the CD case where it belongs and where I always put it.

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

How about holding down the trackpad button when booting, this should eject the CD.

5. Avizzv92 thread starter macrumors regular

I already did that, and did not work.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Do you have Roxio Toast by any chance - if so open Toast and you should be able to see the disk and eject it.

Either that or iTunes and again you should be able to see it then eject it.

Is it a MacBook/MacBook Pro or iMac ??

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I have about 175 MacBooks issued to teachers here, and the no-eject CD issue has cropped up about 10 times. Now when we get one in from a teacher that has the issue, we give them a loaner immediately and send them on their way.

I'm betting this is the same thing, and therefore no amount of fidgeting will get it out. Take it to an Apple store or send it in.

8. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

You will need to get it serviced as it appears that the CD is stuck.

9. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Have you possibly tried resetting the PRAM or the PMU on your MacBook? Sometimes resetting these can solve an issue... I believe there's an article on Apple's support page that covers troubleshooting slot loading disc drives.

Edit: Here's the link to the support page I found on Apple
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88275

10. Avizzv92 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a Macbook regular, I tried the PMU restarts with no luck. How does Apple deal with repairs, do they do in store repairs or do they ship them out to be repaired? Also on average how long will I be without the computer? I'm currently in Georgia visiting relatives for a week and there's a Mac store 15 minutes away, I'll probably take it there see if it can be repaired there. But if not I'll wait until I get home and take it too my Mac store near by.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I'd wait till you got home since it could be a wasted trip if they have to send it in. However, it's been my experience that they "probably" will fix it there. Had a few friends take various issues to the Apple store near here and in every case it was done in a few minutes. None of them had the CD issue though. Oh, and adding CD is WAY easier than the old models, so that helps.

12. Avizzv92 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll take my chance by going too this one, besides I enjoy going to the Mac store anyway. So no trip is ever a waste :)

13. Grasbak macrumors 6502

hmmm - i had an interesting experience recently with my iMac superdrive - popped a DVD (free with a newspaper) in and watched. Tried to eject - no luck. On closer examination of the packaging it was a 'special' DVD, a lot thinner than normal, there was a little icon on the back saying "not suitable for slot-loading drives - tray only". the warning wasnt big enough in my opinion...

wondered if it was a normal CD you had put in?

I had to take mine in for extraction........

14. SaintDiablo macrumors member

I've had a problem like this with my MacBook. The best way I find was making the base go 45 degrees on the flat surface and pressing eject. It tends to work very well.

15. Avizzv92 thread starter macrumors regular

It was a regular CD...

I took it to the Mac Store, turns out I had a optical drive failure.. they said it's a fairly common problem and they can overnight the new part and it will be in either Tuesday or Wednesday. They said it should take about 30 minutes too replace it.

Thanks for the help.