Macbook won't eject disc

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bananaquit, Apr 26, 2008.

1. bananaquit macrumors member

I have a "new" refurb Macbook with a combo drive that can't eject a dvd. This is the first disc in the machine, and well, this is a little disappointing. It makes a very labored sound, and then reinstalls the disc to resume playing. Am I missing something here? Thanks

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

turn your computer off. When you turn it back on, hold the track button down, and it will eject the disk.

3. bananaquit thread starter macrumors member

Yes that worked, but, it made a grinding noise and the disc barely came out. I tried again with a different disc and it still sounds like it can't physically spit it out normally. It makes the eject noises twice, and then stops. I shut it down again, followed your advice, and again heard a very painful grinding sound before the disc came out. Can I assume this is not normal? Thanks.

4. reubs macrumors 68000

Yeah, that's actually very far from normal. Combo drives are the smoothing things in the world, but you should be able to get your disc back no matter what. The drive keeping the disc is definitely not a new Leopard feature.

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

This happened last year when I got my first MBP, also a refurb.

Call Apple, vent your frustration (politely, of course), and maybe you'll be upgraded to brand new, like I was :)

They even worked around me - I'd loaded all my dissertation work on to it and had nowhere to put it, so they shipped me the new one and let me keep the two for 48hrs while I moved everything over. Without that, I'd have really suffered.

6. bananaquit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. Yes it's going back, but I won't know until tomorrow if I have any other options. My first refurb experience has been rather annoying and inconvenient. Still, glitches are bound to happen. I should know better than to order a computer so close to a major trip.

On the bright side, as usual, Apple's customer service has been exemplary!

7. bananaquit thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm back where I started from. I'm returning my MacBook, will not try out another refurb, and will wait until the irritation from this whole experience wears off. They could have at least stuck a disc in the machine to see if the combo drive worked :confused: This was not a nuanced problem.

Forgot to mention that I was very polite ;)