MacBook won't go into sleep mode by itself

Discussion in 'macOS' started by devburke, Aug 24, 2009.

1. devburke Guest

So I tried closing all my apps and everything, and even set the Energy Saver preferences down to go into sleep mode after 1 minute of inactivity. But it still won't go to sleep! The screen will, but that's all.

It's a mid-2007 MacBook running 10.5.8, for the record.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Even after a restart?

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

open Activity Monitor and with only your processes shown, post the third party processes which are running.

background processes can sometimes prevent the hard drive from spinning down which prevents the computer from sleeping.

4. devburke thread starter Guest

Restart made no difference. This has kinda been happening on and off for awhile. I'm not sure it's consistent.

Well I tried a ton of different things, quitting apps, turning off sharing, and every time waiting forever for it to fall asleep again. I'm not sure it's consistent, but I was able to get it to fall asleep when NNW (3.2b23) was closed, then it wouldn't when it was open, then I quit it again and it fell asleep again. So it seems NNW is the culprit. Although even when it did fall asleep, it took another minute or so after the screen shut off, even though they're both set to one minute.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just try 15 mins or so. sometimes doesnt sleep after only a minute for me.