Macbook won't install OS (Hard drive fail?)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ninjasuperstar8, Sep 23, 2013.

1. ninjasuperstar8 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to fix my friends macbook I think its from 2008 first of the aluminum case MBs. Anyways it wouldn't boot up at all, so I took the hard drive out and backed up all the important info to another hard drive. At that time I didn't have the original discs that came with it. I used a copy of Snow leopard to erase and install OS back on the hard drive. Everything worked smoothly, I updated everything, put all the important files back on, when she went to install ilife the MB froze up. When it was restarted it wouldn't boot up again, it would stay on the opening grey screen. I stuck in the snow leopard disc again and tried to repair but it errored and reported a Hard drive problem. I notice now that if I attempt anything with the hard drive that the drive is quite loud now. You can hear the harddrive attempting to read from the disc.

It still can see that the hard drive is there ,after a few seconds, but now it errors if I try to do anything with it. Then my friend found the original discs, so I attempted a full format and install from there. Everything appeared to be going good until about halfway though the install it stopped and stated it could not install and to restart and try again. And that's as far as I can get with it now.

Anyways, I've seemed to run out of options. I'm thinking that the hard drive is failing now and that even tho OS can still see it there that it's only a matter of time before it goes. do you guys have any other recommendations or tips? Thanks!!

And please don't say to take it to my nearest apple store or computer store because I live in a small town about a 2 hour flight away from any of these places which is why I am trying to fix it myself.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That definitely sounds like the hard drive is headed for a dirt nap. :eek:

It is just a standard 2.5 inch laptop drive you can find at most stores. Do you have maybe a Best Buy or WalMart or something like that nearby where you could buy a new drive. They are surprisingly common in stores now.

3. ninjasuperstar8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I figured it was a Hard drive fail but I think I just needed to hear that from someone else. We have a store here that does sell hard drives but they are generally overpriced. We can get them free shipping from best buy tho so I'll probably go that route. I'm kind of glad that it's what I suspected the problems was because I was running thin on options lol

Thanks again.