Macbook won't install software updates, help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lesgf3, Jan 8, 2009.

1. lesgf3 macrumors newbie

i have the white macbook with 10.5.6 version of leopard. whenever i try to install software updates, it won't install them. it downloads them, but when i restart the computer to install them, it will not do it. i have left it sitting there for over 12 hours before to see if it was just slow, but it didn't help. i would like to avoid messing with apple technicians, can anyone tell me how to fix this myself? i still have all of my leopard disks, in case i need to re-install that. any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

When did the MacBook stop installing updates? Was it after installing a specific update or just out of the blue?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Try clearing out Macintosh HD/Library/Updates if there's anything in there. Then download the stand-alone installers from www.apple.com/support/downloads
    If you can't install there, use Disk Utility, verify/repair disk and disk permissions.
    If still unable to, you should consider an archive and install, steps documented in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710