Macbook won't let me install software. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moya83, Sep 28, 2012.

1. moya83 macrumors newbie

I had bought this macbook pro (osx lion 10.8) off of craigslist. Macbook 2010, he replace the hard drive for a faster one (state slate or something like that), he gave me the original one. I am trying to install pro tools 10, but the macbook would not let me stall any software. It plays dvd's but would not read any software. Is the cd drive bad? Is their a setting I can change? PLZ HELP.:mad::mad::confused::confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. moya83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I changed that setting, but still does the same thing. I put in the software, and I hear it spinning, but then it just stops. I finally installed my interface, but how I did that was I searched "disk utility" and on the left hand side I clicked on it. On the lower right hands side reads, "Verify Disk." I click on it and one reads "The Volume Audiobox USB appears to be ok," as for the other disk it tells me that its corrupted and gave me a node (Node=1)? The way I was able to install my interface was by searching disk utility, highlighted it on the left hand side, then clicked "verify disk" then at the bottom left reads, "Mount Point:" Next to that was my interface and I clicked on that link and that was how I was able to install. I am not trying to install my pro tools that way or any other software. I just want to be able to pop in my software, wait for the screen to pop up and install (you know the way it should be), not doing this disk utility crap. I push in my dvd's and it plays just fine, but won't with my software cd's. So I pop in my software, the drive takes it in, i hear it spinning, then just stops out of no where. The drive does not ejects the disk it just stays in. I pop in a dvd and it works fine. Any other tips you can offer me? If so, I would highly appreciate it YOU OR ANYONE IN THE MAC WORLD PLZ HELP ME OUT. P.s.....I'm new to mac.

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Are you new to MAC computers? It would help if you tell us which software you are trying to install.

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

So the problem isn't that you can't install it, it's that it can't be read from the drive?
    If so, try cleaning it out with compressed air, or one of those CD laser lens cleaners.

6. moya83 thread starter macrumors newbie

The software that I am trying to install is Pro Tools 10. My drive reads dvd's, but will not read software cd's of any kind.

7. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

click the finder menu and choose preferences.

finder->preferences

then click under show these items on desktop - >show cd dvds and external disks

insert software disk. click the cd disk drive icon on your desktop when the cd starts

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I know this may be a long shot but I have to ask, are the software CDs compatible for MAC? In other words, the software can run on OSX correct?

9. moya83 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. moya83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Acorn: I've done what you asked and it works, but is their anyway I can just have my software automatically start like my dvd's do? Why won't the software begin processing when I enter the software disk is what I want to know. I enter a dvd and BAM, its starts playing. I enter a software disk and the drive takes in the disk, I can hear it running, then out of no where is speeds up, slows down and then WHOMP, the drive stops running/spinning.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Autorun to install software from optical disks is disabled in OS X as a security precaution to prevent infected software from installing itself on your computer.

12. moya83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Weaselboy, is their anyway I can enable that setting? I have a 2010 macbook pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor, with Solid State Drive, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory, OS X 10.8.1 (Software).

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No. I'm sorry... I should have phrased it differently and used a word other than "disabled" (which implies it can be enabled). Autorun from optical disks is blocked altogether in OS X.

14. sydenham macrumors regular

This person gave you very useful advice and you chose to ignore it.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think he is ignoring anything. OP was just looking for a way to do this automatically.

Were your Cheerios soggy this morning or something? :)

16. moya83 thread starter macrumors newbie

weaselboy, ok thats cool. If you or anyone in the mac world would happen to know to solve this issue plz let me know. I would highly appreciate it! At synde........no comment. What is the benefit of a solid state drive (120g
    GB)? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm new to mac. It's like learning a pc for the first time.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

An SSD is far far faster than a platter based hard drive. Applications launch much more quickly and any data you access on an SSD is pulled from the drive faster. It really makes a big difference.

No problem with the questions. Just post them up. :)

18. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

it could be a dirty superdrive lens. My macbook pro superdrive stopped playing anything on CD's at one point but could still play DVD's. I removed the drive, opened it up, cleaned it with some lens cleaning fluid on a cotton bud, put it all back together, and its worked ever since. I know you've talked about it automatically running so far, but does the CD even mount at all? As in does it show up anywhere that you can actually browse the contents of the disk? Also, does it spit the CD back out at any point?

19. moya83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Zedsdead, I'm am going to try that! Weaselboy is their a buddy list on this site? You seem like a very cool, helpful guy and I appreciate that!

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go here and you can add users to your Friends list. Glad to help you out. This can all be a bit much at first. :D

21. sydenham macrumors regular

If he is able to see the disk on the desktop he would be able to click on it and definitely tell if the computer is reading the disk. But as he didn't clarify that he has tried this I am assuming he ignored the advice. If the disk is visible on his desktop or not would be an easy indication whether the disk drive is working or not. My guess is that the drive is not working and he should just buy an inexpensive external USB drive and follow the instructions that were given to him to make things easy. But if you want to speak for him and not know if the disk is mounting then go ahead. My Cheerios were fine thanks for asking.

22. Weaselboy, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Read post #10.

23. sydenham macrumors regular

Yea let him continue to use Disk utility to access his disks. Excellent.

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have no idea what you are even talking about. :confused: OP asked how to install an app from a CD/DVD and Acorn explained how to do that. OP replied Acorn's suggestion worked for him, however he was hoping for a way to autorun a CD application install like in Windows. Who said anything about Disk Utility? I think you missed something. Keep up the snark though.

25. sydenham, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

sydenham macrumors regular