Macbook won't pick up wireless networks unless 2 feet from base station

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by necoleman, Aug 20, 2009.

1. necoleman macrumors newbie

I have a black Macbook running OSX 10.5.8. I also have an Airport Extreme base station.

For the past few days, my computer will not acknowledge a wireless network is present unless it is within 2 feet of the base station. If it is within 2 feet, the signal strength is perfect and the internet functions like normal. I also used to be able to see my neighbors wireless networks under the Airport menu but those are all gone now too.

I have reset my Airport Extreme, confirmed that it is broadcasting at 100% transmit power, unplugged Airport overnight, anything I could think of. So far nothing has helped at all.

I am going to school in Grenada, West Indies so I am not close to any Apple stores or anything for help. This problem sprung up overnight and I did not install or un-install anything prior to the problem developing.

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I would first isolate the problem to either the MB or the Airport. That is, try to connect to other wifi networks with your MB; or try to connect another computer to your Airport station.

3. necoleman thread starter macrumors newbie

It's my Macbook because I can not pick up any of the other networks in the area that I used to be able to.