Macbook won't read 1 DVD, spits it out - WTF?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Khryz, May 14, 2009.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I've never had this happen, but I have this DVD of a tv-show in a series of 10 DVD's, it's the same region and everything as the others and I put it in, the computer makes some noises like it's working harder to get it to play then spits it out after 30 seconds.

I put back in an previous volume DVD from this series and it plays fine. Is it simply the DVD? It's brand new I just took it out of the wrapping.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

The easiest thing would be to put the DVD that doesn't work in a different DVD player. If it works in the other DVD player, I'm not sure what would be wrong.

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Duh, okay you're right. Put it in my PS3 and still doesn't play. I've never had this happen.

Is it just straight broken or is there any way I can fix it? No scratches or nothing. What would make it not play?

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I actually have no idea, though I'm sure in the manufacturing process there will be errors every once and awhile that produce a dud DVD. I've never had that happen to me either. Unless anyone has better suggestions, I would try to somehow get a replacement, maybe from where it was purchased?

5. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Actually I'm having a similar problem. My Macbook Pro won't read a DVD+R DL. The disk reads in all other computers i've tried so far. I've checked the drive in System Profiler, and it says that it writes these kinds of disks, so i'm assuming it should be able to read them as well, right?
    Someone help??