Macbook won't read or eject disc

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CQuedado, May 27, 2011.

1. CQuedado macrumors member

Hello,

My MB's cd drive wont read or eject my disk. When I load up my MB, it makes the standard, start-up, whirring sound, stops, and repeats the step a few times before it just stops trying to read the disk altogether.

Is there a way that i can hard eject the drive?

Does this mean the drive is messed? do i need to take it into get repaired?

Thanks in advance

Carlo

2. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Restart and hold down the mouse button at start up. The disc should pop out and everything'll be fine.

My Macbook's drive does this occasionally on discs in poor condition from the library.

3. johnnyham macrumors regular

I didn't know that about the mouse button... I'll have to try it sometime. I've always just held the eject key down.

If you don't care about the disc, you could try pulling it out with some tweezers or needle-nose pliers, although you'd probably scratch up the edges of the disc pretty bad. I've also had success at using another disc to push the stuck disc in further, triggering its release. Finally, if you know someone with sufficient repair skills, they can take the drive out, dismantle it, and get your CD out that way.

I've found that the cause of this problem is due to the top of the drive getting bent, resulting in it not being able to sufficiently engage the disc.