macbook wont reboot after tiger reinstallation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Crown16, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Crown16 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a macbook intel(black) it originally came with tiger, i installed leopard on it a while ago. How ever i dont like leopard i want tiger back. I lost the original grey cds that came with my macbook so i hooked it up to my iMac with target disk mode. I erased the disk using disk utility. Then i installed tiger with an original copy of tiger bought in a mac store. My imac rebooted i follow the installation menu and it installed. the internal drive of my macbook booted on my imac asif it were an external drive. I rebooted into the internal drive of the imac and ejected the macbook drive. I disconnected the firewire cable and rebooted my macbook. The problem is that it wont boot properly it just goes to the white screen make the startup sound and starts flashing a folder with a questionmark in it. ive tried resetting the pram etc but it doesnt seem to work. i tried holding alt at boot up all i get is the cursor and nothing happens. i can still connect it to my imac but that it. how can i get my macbook to reboot properly again?"

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

It sounds like you have installed Tiger on to the iMac's internal disk....

Why don't you put the Tiger Install disk in the MacBook and install the OS onto the MacBook's hard disk (or is there something wrong with the optical drive on the MacBook ??)

3. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that, when it still had leopard on it, but it kept saying it wasnt possbile. thats when i decided to erase the disk via TDM. then i put the install dvd in the MB but it would boot properly, so what i did was leave the disk in the MB and connect it to my imac with TDM then installed it onto the MB's drive...

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You have got things the wrong way round with TDM I think....

If the MacBook does not boot from the Tiger disc then it might be an earlier version of Tiger than the MacBook requires.

If it is a Core Duo MacBook then it will need 10.4.6 if it is a Core 2 Model then it will a minimum of 10.4.8... What does it say on the Tiger disc ?

How old is the iMac ? will it boot from the Tiger disc - I think you have said it will.

Try things the other way round - start up the MacBook in TDM, put the Tiger disc in the iMac, boot the iMac from the Tiger disc then select the MacBook hard disk from the installer and try that......

5. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah my bad, i think i wasnt clear. I put the disk in de MB, put the MB into TDM, the internal HDD of the MB showed up on the imac Desktop, so did the tiger dvd.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

still sounds as if the Tiger disc is an early version.....

If the MacBook will not boot from that Tiger dvd then it sounds like it is.

7. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

think your right... its 10.4.7 i need 10.4.8 i think