Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
It shows a red battery in the top right corner. It says 36 mins (remaining) yet when I plug in the mains charger the light goes on (on the mains wire ) and goes off after about 30 secs.

Is this Macbook faulty or do I have some settings wrong?

Its probably worth mentioning I've had the Macbbok for 2 days

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
I had the same problem with my powerbook when I first got it. I think I ended up resetting or recalibrating the battery and for the past year or so I have had no problems.
I would tell you how to recalibrate the battery but I dont remember I know it has been listed on the forums before because that is where I got the information when I did it.
This should (if its the same problem I had with my powerbook) fix the problem.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Recalibrating the battery involves running the computer unplugged (only on battery) until it shuts itself down. Then let it sleep for 5 hours. Then plug it back in and recharge and keep it plugged in for at least 5 hours after it is fully charged. If that doesn't work, unplug the power, remove the battery and hold the power button down for 5 seconds to reset the power management.

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
I tried what you said and now it won't turn on (with the agsafe connected - I also tried taking the battery out and holding down the power button for 5 seconds but nothing

I'll probably take it to the Apple Store in London to avoid long shipping times

anott

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
i dont know whats wrong with my mac

my mac has been completely fine, until last night. i had it charged fully and was disconnecting it from the power and it shut down. as soon as i plugged it back in, it restarted. yet the power has been stuck on 17% ever since. i have no idea what is wrong, and dont know if i need a new battery.

please help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.