MacBook won't recognize battery!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by menthol moose, Oct 29, 2007.

1. menthol moose macrumors regular

So, I've had my MacBook for about three months now, and suddenly this morning, I can't use the MacBook on the battery. Even with the battery correctly plugged in, both Mac OS X and Windows say that no battery is plugged in, and it just turns off if the MagSafe adapter isn't plugged in. By the way, the battery is holding a full charge, I believe about 98%.

Any ideas as to how to fix this, or should I just head into a close Apple Store, and see what they say?

2. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue. Removing/replacing didn't fix it, PRAM reset didn't fix it, so I took it to the local Apple store and they replaced the battery on the spot.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Try resetting the SMC.

MacBook, MacBook Pro

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
    2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
    3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
    4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
    5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.​

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

4. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Make sure the contacts are clean. Other than that your best bet would be getting the battery replaced by Apple.

5. menthol moose thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I've already tried resetting the SMC and making sure the contacts are clean. I guess it's off to the Apple Store for me.

6. in.a.pickle macrumors newbie

Macbook won't recognize battery

My macbook has worked flawlessly for the last two years I've owned it, then out of the blue I turned it on one day and it won't start up without the wall adapter. I tried resetting the PMU, PRAM, and the SMC and even bought a brand new battery, but no avail.

The battery status shows either the classic 'X' (I'm assuming represents my battery is either dead or not recognized) and other times it shows the lightning bolt with 0% charging without actually charging. Even without the battery attached it shows that it is "calculating ... until full". What gives? Is there something I'm missing here?

Whenever I've searched for this issue everyone's problem seems to be solved by replacing the battery. .... My warranty is expired and I'm hoping not to have to pay a considerable amount to have an apple dealer look at it. Any suggestions?

7. garyaedgar macrumors newbie

Answer

I've been going through forums for the past few days and haven't been able to find an asnwer the the above question - can anyone tell what the resolution was? I'm wondering if there is a fix or whether I'll need to get it repaired somewhere.

8. in.a.pickle macrumors newbie

Battery Problem was actually motherboard problem

In my case the battery wasn't the issue. Turns out it was the port attached to my motherboard that reads the battery wasn't working anymore. Which meant I had to buy a new motherboard. eek!

I took it into apple and I purchased the Apple ProCare card which covers repairs after your apple products warranty expires. Mine had been expired over two years. So for just over $100cdn I got a brand new motherboard!

(They also allow you to bypass the 'Genius Bar' line so making an appointment isn't necessary)

9. bohmbap macrumors newbie

Well...

Hey everyone.

Before you guys panic, you should try this. Take your battery out, then try to turn your mac on with just the power cord plugged in, and if it doesn't come on, it is a 9/10 chance it is your power cord witch is also having a lot of problems. Take it to an apple store, and have them test it out before you buy another one. If you do need a cord, and it isn't covered, Ebay has them for $17 verses the $79 you would pay at the apple store.

10. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

how does replacing the power adapter fix the battery issue?
    could be the battery or the dc board where the battery is plugged into.

i doubt a power adapter will fix it.

11. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Pro Care is not a warranty. You just got lucky the employee hooked you up or it was a known issue they cover beyond the warranty period.
    http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/