MacBook won't recognize firewire until reboot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Copland, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Hello all!

My Core 2 Duo MacBook has been acting a bit funny. I recently bought an Alesis audio mixer, which connects to the MacBook with a Firewire 400 cable. So, I installed the latest drivers for the mixer and uploaded new firmware to the mixer.

When it rebooted from the driver installation, it recognized the mixer. However, when I unplugged the mixer and plugged it back it, it didn't get recognized. So, I thought to myself "that's a nuisance, but I can handle it."

However, I recently wanted to sync my iPod (4g) via firewire. I plugged it in, and the iPod started charging (so the port is obviously functional), but OS X wouldn't recognize it. Remembering the situation with the mixer, I restarted with the iPod plugged in, and low and behold, it was recognized.

So I guess my question is: is there a way to get Mac OS X to recognize firewire devices when they're plugged in as opposed to having to reboot?

It used to immediately recognize it... is it possible that it's mixer drivers that are messing it up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Copland thread starter macrumors regular

Copland

3. xStep macrumors 68000

I just saw someone else on mac-forums complain about that mixer and having to restart. That is how I found your post.

My firewire iPod is always recognized and opens iTunes automatically. I have enabled disk use, but can't say if that makes any difference.

4. Copland thread starter macrumors regular

Copland

Yeah, it used to connect to my iPod automatically fine.

Do you have a link to that other thread?

5. xStep macrumors 68000

The link is here.

From the little searching I did, I did not see an answer.