Macbook won't recognize wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neurosciencey, Sep 23, 2011.

1. neurosciencey macrumors newbie

I have a white 2007 Macbook, and yesterday received a Netgear wireless router.

I set up the router according to the instructions in the manual and made a password-protected network. My computer recognizes the network when my router is on, and not when it's off, which I would expect.

However, even when it looks like I'm connected, I can't access the Internet. When I open Airport Utility and scan for wireless devices, it doesn't recognize my router.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Don't use Airport Utility, that's for setting up an actual airport device (router). There are two ways you can try to connect to your router. One way is to click on the icon with radio waves in the top of your menu bar. It's on the right side, once clicked on that it will show you a list of WIFIs you can connect to. Connect to the one that matches your router, should ask for the password then your connected.

The other way to connect is to go to System Preferences and click on Network panel. Once in there on the left you will see a list of connections, you want WIFI. On the right it will say 'Status' and next to that depending if your airport is on or off. Under that you select to the network you want to join (assuming that you turn on the WIFI), type you password and you are connected.

Hugh