Macbook wont repair via installation disk :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G-baby158, May 13, 2010.

1. G-baby158 macrumors newbie

Right, my macbook won't boot so i brought a copy of the SL disk from Apple. Put cd in went through to the click continue screen and clicked the Utilities and then Disk Utility and chose my drive and clicked 'Veriy Disk' Clicked that and it said it needed to be repaired and click the 'Repair Disk' button. Done that and it gets through some of it then spits up and error message saying the disk cannot be repaired :S ?????
    I really need my stuff off of there becuase have'nt got a back-up so if someone could at least tell me how to recover my things i would be really greatful.
    Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have access to another Mac, try accessing your hard drive in target disk mode.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your hard drive probably has physical damage. Your options at this point are somewhat limited.

1. You could try some of the other methods Apple mentions in their support documents like single-user mode or safe mode.

2. Does your Macbook have a firewire port? If so you could put it in target disk mode and connect it to another mac to see if it recognizes it. You might be able to recover something then.

3. If you don't have another Mac handy, you could try getting a replacement hard drive and an external enclosure. You'd replace the faulty HD and then put the drive you removed into the enclosure to see if you could salvage anything from it.

4. You could pay an exorbitant amount of money to have your data professionally recovered.

4. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

It hasn't got physical damage thats for sure, the reason it wouldn't boot in the first place was because it froze and i forced the turn off.
    I will try another hdd in it to see if that works.