Macbook won't shut down if connected to network

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by poohbear666, Nov 7, 2013.

1. poohbear666 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook (13 inch, mid 2010) which has been upgraded to 10.9

If it is connected to my home network, where I am sharing various hard drives with an iMac (also upgraded to 10.9) it won't shut down or restart normally - I have to do a hard shutdown. If it is started up not connected to the network, it shuts down without difficulty. If I disconnect from the network by turning off the wifi, it won't shut down.

There are no applications running on the Macbook when I try to shutdown.

Looking at Activity Monitor, there is no obvious difference between the main processes running when connected or not connected to the network.

Perhaps there are processes on the iMac which are accessing the Macbook and won't release the Macbook but this problem did not happen under 10.8 ....

Any suggestions.

2. trevm999 macrumors member

I would check out your hard drive first, just to make sure. It is possible that in the process of doing the network drive sharing your computer is accessing files from a bad part of your hard drive and sometimes a computer will get stuck and refuse to shut down when it has a failing hard drive.

I like to use SMART Utility to check the drive. First look at the SMART data and then run some tests (start wit hthe short test). You want to see if there are any reallocated sectors or pending sectors marked in the SMART data.

3. poohbear666 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used the Macintosh Disk Utility on all the disks - which all look good. I'll checkout SMART Utility.

4. trevm999 macrumors member

Disk Utility just check the file system, but doesn't check the SMART Data to see if there any any physical problems with the drive.

5. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

Did you try booting in safe mode (startup holding shift)? Then shut down, turn back on, and see if the problem remains.

6. agentm925 macrumors newbie

I'm having the EXACT same issue here. I have a MacBook Pro and iMac that contains an external drive with an iPhoto and iTunes library stored. The MacBook or iMac will not shut down when using these network services, even when all are disconnected. I hope a future update can resolve this as hard reboots are scary. :eek:

7. poohbear666 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still getting nowhere on this ....

Thought I might have found a solution when I came across:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

... but that didn't work either :mad:

8. trevm999 macrumors member

What did you see with SMART Utility? I would boot the macbook to a hard drive running a clean install of 10.9 and see if the issue still happens. If it reoccurs, boot to a drive running 10.8. See it it happens when connecting another Mac to the iMac. Also, try connecting the iMac and macbook with a different router. If you don't have access or can't get access to these resources, then I would suggest contacting a technician.