MacBook won't shut down, no apps work!

Littlebug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2014
Hey guys, here's the situation:

I can't open any of my applications (except finder). They just bounce for a minute and then do nothing. I tried opening Activity Monitor and Task Manager (cmd+opt+esc) but NOTHING happens!

When I move my mouse to the top right bar, it becomes a spinning wheel/beach ball. Time/date/battery haven't changed since this problem began yesterday.

Finally, I can't turn off my Mac. Even when I press the button for a minute, nothing happens.

Thanks for any help, this is my first post here :)

M

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013

I can't open any of my applications (except finder). They just bounce for a minute and then do nothing. I tried opening Activity Monitor and Task Manager (cmd+opt+esc) but NOTHING happens!

When I move my mouse to the top right bar, it becomes a spinning wheel/beach ball. Time/date/battery haven't changed since this problem began yesterday.

Finally, I can't turn off my Mac. Even when I press the button for a minute, nothing happens.

M
Since you dont specify what computer you use i dont know if this will work, But take out the battery. If its a Macbook it will work.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Can you get to Terminal?
Four finger pinch on trackpad->Utility->Terminal

If yes, you could try a shutdown command from there:
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

M
This same thing is happening to me! Please help.
In the event that your Mac is totally frozen, you can hold the power button and it will shut off. This is not recommended except when totally frozen.

I would recommend repairing permissions in Disk Utility.

dhjdhj

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
For what it's worth, I have the same problem. I have to remote ssh into the machine to execute a shutdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.