MacBook won't shut down or log off without pressing power button

MacNewbie22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I'm having a problem with my MacBook- for the past month or so the only way I can shut it down is by pressing down the power button. When I hit shut down or log off on the apple menu nothing happens at all. The same applies for e.g. when the software updates require restart- when the computer prompt comes up to restart and i say ok, nothing happens. I bought my computer in March 07 and it's OS X 10.4 tiger (I think!)
Can someone tell me what I need to do -is it just a pathway that's missing and how do I fix it?

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
I have the same problem with my macbook pro. I've tried repairing permissions with Onyx and Disk Utility and deleting login.plist and com.apple.login.plist. Tried creating a new account too, but that didn't work either. The weird thing is that it will shut down before I have logged on to either account at the login screen.

EDIT: If I use fast user switching, I can get to the login window and shutdown or restart from there but I first have to type in my name and password.

doug.hall

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
London
I have the same problem with my macbook pro. I've tried repairing permissions with Onyx and Disk Utility and deleting login.plist and com.apple.login.plist. Tried creating a new account too, but that didn't work either. The weird thing is that it will shut down before I have logged on to either account at the login screen.

EDIT: If I use fast user switching, I can get to the login window and shutdown or restart from there but I first have to type in my name and password.
That is exactly what happens with all my SR MBs (four in total). I've not tried the fast users option so I'll do that tomorrow. This is really disappointing because I recommend apple to everyone i know but the SR macbooks are proving to be a real pain. In addition to the restart/shut down issue I've found on the four macbooks I have all of the trackpads are jerky. My old PB kicks ar5e compared with the new macbooks. To be honest I don't think it's much slower either (unless using handbrake).

Update on 27th December - This issue appears to be fixed now. Trouble is I'm not sure how becuase I've not changed anything or applied a software update either. Hmm??? Strange but I'm not complaining:)

Likugha

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
Lebanon OR
Did anyone ever find a fix that was not as ghetto as switching between to accounts. Because I to have the same problem.
-I tried using a few programs( e.g. shutdown x)
-I tried command line but that is timely
-Would love someone to figure a permanent fix