macbook wont shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ag227, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ag227 macrumors regular

Ever since i upgraded to leopard my macbook will never shut down properly. I can either tell it to shut down by pressing the button and selecting shutdown or using the menu option to. But it only takes about 1 - 2 seconds from selecting shutdown until it appears to be off... no more noise from fans or hdd and screens off etc... but as soon as i go and close the lid the white light on the front comes on and stays on (not pulsating), so i open the lid and press keys etc to try and wake it but nothing, so close the lid and the light comes back on etc. and this keeps happening, the only way to stop it is to hold the power button to force it to shutdown.

I no its technically not on, but this is really annoying, especially at night and it must mean that somewhere something is still on to cause this.

So any idea what i should do? is it a bug in leopard or a more serious hardware issue?

ps. this happens everytime i try and shut it down without fail, its not just ever now and then.

thanks

2. ethen macrumors regular

I'm on the same boat as you after upgrading, the problem was not fixed on 10.5.1, so i cleaned install my macbook pro with leopard and the problem gone away. It seems to be a lot of problem for upgraders

3. Motion Marvel macrumors newbie

I had the same problem after upgrading to Leopard. I managed to trace the problem to the DoubleCommand kernel extension. After remapping every key to the default value, removing DoubleCommand and restarting my MB the problem was solved.
    Do you have installed some kernel extensions which are not Leopard compatible?

4. m3the01 macrumors member

Im still on tiger, no luck on shutdown. Just goes to my background and sits there till the battery drains.

Where to start? Ive disabled every startup application ive added.

Any thoughts?

This is a 2.4ghz, 8600m gt 256Mb macbook pro.

5. m3the01 macrumors member

6. delosh macrumors newbie

I too have not upgraded to Leopard and am having this issue.
    I have reset the SMC, PRAM etc.

Any other ideas??