Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
Hey guys,

I got a problem and I'm pretty confused about it, my MacBook Pro 15'' Retina doesn't sleep anymore - when I close the lid of my MacBook it is still running.

It's running the latest beta of OS X 10.8.3, I got this problem since a week.

Does someone know what I can do?

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
The only time I've had this was when I moved the boot drive into the optibay. The boot drive needs to be in the original hard drive bay for the sleep image to be written to it.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
The only time I've had this was when I moved the boot drive into the optibay. The boot drive needs to be in the original hard drive bay for the sleep image to be written to it.

Sorry, but I got a MacBook Pro Retina which has a soldered flashdrive on the motherboard (just like the MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone), so I can never put it in another bay. ;) :p

But, thanks for your help anyway!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Firstly - make sure there's no software running which prevents sleep (such as Caffeine).

You can do a quick test - take a magnet and run it around the top edge of the top case (outside edges of the speaker grills). It should sleep - if it doesn't, it's a faulty sleep sensor - which is a top case replacement in the rMBP. If it does, the magnet in the display has slipped, which means a new display.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
Well, when I close the lid of my MacBook it seems the display and backlight keyboard turns off, but OS X is still running.

It looks like a software related problem, but I'm not sure about it.
Does someone know a good terminal command to test this?

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
Well, when I close the lid of my MacBook it seems the display and backlight keyboard turns off, but OS X is still running.

It looks like a software related problem, but I'm not sure about it.
Does someone know a good terminal command to test this?

Out of curiosity (and may be help with the process of elimination), what happens if you try to put the machine to sleep manually, without closing the lid. Will it go to sleep ?

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
Out of curiosity (and may be help with the process of elimination), what happens if you try to put the machine to sleep manually, without closing the lid. Will it go to sleep ?

Well, after clicking 3 times on sleep, it goes to bed...
I bet it is a software related issue, I'm going to search for a magnet to check if my MacBook does well.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
Firstly - make sure there's no software running which prevents sleep (such as Caffeine).

You can do a quick test - take a magnet and run it around the top edge of the top case (outside edges of the speaker grills). It should sleep - if it doesn't, it's a faulty sleep sensor - which is a top case replacement in the rMBP. If it does, the magnet in the display has slipped, which means a new display.

I tried the trick with the magnet, and the display of my MacBook turned off.
But, OS X was still running.

It has to be a software related problem, but I don't know where I have to search.

I got these programs running on startup:

WeatherHDMenu
Unclutter
WindowTidy
Bartender
Plex Streaming Service
Dropbox
Newsbar

:confused:

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
Ok, I fixed this issue! :)

The problem was that I didn't quit NoSleep correctly, so my MacBook was still on when I closed the lid; even when NoSleep was quitted.

Now my MacBook sleeps well, just like me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.