MacBook won't sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dreamsINdigital, Sep 3, 2007.

1. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook, and lately it hasn't been going to sleep on its own when idle. It will just sit there and drain the battery until it's out. I have the energy settings set to normal when running on battery (sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity).

I usually have these things connected to the MacBook: an external monitor, USB hub built into monitor (has external hard drive connected, but not usually on), Logitech mouse, speakers. I've tried using the MacBook without anything connected, but it still won't sleep.

I don't think any programs are keeping it from sleeping, usually just Firefox, Mail, and Adium running.

I thought it could possibly be the updated Logitech mouse driver that I installed, but I uninstalled the preferencepane using AppZapper and removed all instances of "Logitech" using Spotlight, but the computer still isn't sleeping.

Any ideas, similar problems, or suggestions?

Thanks

2. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I've done that, but unless I didn't do it right, it didn't solve anything. Is there any way to tell if you've successfully reset the SMC?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you disconnect all your network devices then an SMC reset will reset your clock. That's a good way of checking if it has been done correctly. :)

4. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

even if u go to the top bar with the blue apple logo and press sleep it won't go to sleep? Just a thought

5. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip.
    The MacBook will sleep if I close the lid or manually set it to sleep. It just won't do it on it's own when idle anymore for some reason.

6. iarejedi macrumors member

I am having this same problem, very odd. It always used to go to sleep perfectly. Just stopped out of nowhere.

7. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it's weird. I have yet to find a cause and solution. I think a reformat might do the trick, but I can't be bothered to do that until Leopard comes out. I think I can deal with it until then if I have to.

8. Spanishfly macrumors newbie

I'm having the same exact problem with my iMac. It used to work fine but I have to either force it to sleep or make sure nothing is open. I suspect it's Firefox since it seems to mostly happen with that program.

9. Wafflebird macrumors newbie

Same problem with a thread started today.... here is what happened

You can see my similar thread on this same (MBP) forum. I was on the phone over 45 mins. with Apple. Was sent into the Apple store. After about 30 mins. the Genius came out and told me that the logic board was bad, so I sit here typing on a brand new MBP as they replaced it. I bought the orig. just recently. I am not saying that this is your problem, just telling you what happened to me. I could get it to go to sleep by closing the lid and it would wake up upon opening the lid but simply would not sleep on it's own, try as I might. Again you can see my thread on this page. I wish all of you luck. As a result I did go ahead and purchase the Apple Care just in case. :cool:

10. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. Hopefully that won't be my problem, because my MacBook is a little over a year old so it's probably out of warranty and I don't have AppleCare. I wonder how much that would cost me?

11. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Ive been having this same problem for about a year now, im not sure what the cause is. Someone above mentioned a bad logic board however this was happening on my old macbook pro and when i got my new mbp i migrated my account and the issue migrated also bringing me to the conclusion that its not a hardware issue. Were there any developments on this?

12. goodscoolwf macrumors newbie

Replace its battery may helpful. I had done so.

13. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

I resolved the problem after I did a clean install of Snow Leopard. This was a long time ago, but from what I remember, I think I found out the issue had something to do with Parallels Desktop. Are you using that by any chance?