Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Hey, so I've had this issue for a couple of weeks, hadn't really bothered me until recently though. My Macbook isn't going to sleep. I've had it to go to sleep in 15 mins. of inactivity but I've noticed when I am away for a while and comeback only the display is off. I logged out and tried it on my "Troubleshooting" account which has everything at the default settings came back an hour later and it wasn't asleep. Right now I changed the sleep time to one minute and only the display shut off. I don't have any background apps running (that I am aware of) the only thing I could think of is bowtie but I quit that before I tried sleeping it right now.

Oh and I also tried the command+option+p+r at the startup.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Hmm... I turned off airport (I connect via TC and have a printer attached to it) and I turned off file sharing but it still did not go to sleep on its own. Don't have any blue-tooth devices attached to it our peripherals.

nc7r

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
It seems you've done the first few steps of troubleshooting, making a new user and testing it on that, and reading that article.

Like said before, ensure you have no peripherals causing you bother first. What I would recommend is reset your PRAM and then your SMC.

Shut the computer down, wait 10 seconds, take battery out, hold the power button down for 10 seconds, then put battery back in and try it out. To reset the PRAM power off then hold Command, Option P + R then power, until you hear it chime 3 times.

Try these because they could be causing you the issue of not sleeping or giving the correct commands to the processor to initiate sleep.

If those don't work I'd recommend taking it to an Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.