Macbook won't sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RollTide, May 12, 2009.

1. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

Ok so my wife's macbook has the lid closed and is constantly waking itself up. Nothing is plugged into the macbook. It is on the charger and receiving full power.

I have tried to put it to sleep using Apple>sleep> off etc. and after about 3 seconds it wakes back up with the lid open. All night we hear the dvd rom booting up and the Mac wakes up. Any suggestions???

2. MrM macrumors 6502

You don't have Bluetooth enabled by any chance, do you?

3. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

It does this with Bluetooth on and off. Thanks though, I really hadn't thought of it.

4. MrM macrumors 6502

Weird. Do you have the latest software updates? 10.5.7 came out today.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. Odid macrumors regular

Same problem. I also can hear the DVD booting up on and off. When I open it up, it's very hot. I got scared that it might harm the CPU so recently have been shutting it down.

I don't use bluetooth as mentioned by the other poster so I don't understand what would be the problem other than the superdrive. or something else.

7. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

The sound from the super drive is simply the sound it makes when waking from sleep. There must be something waking your computer bluetooth, usb peripherals, or network. I had the same problem I'm sure the fix wont matter as you said it does it with bluetooth off, but this may be worth a shot! Go to bluetooth prefs > Advanced > Uncheck allow bluetooth devices to wake my computer from sleep. Hopefully that works, if not, call Apple!

8. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Yeah! Did you spill some Red Bull on it?

9. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

Well it hasn't flown away (RedBull), but I am going to get her to try the bluetooth thing even though it's been off. Oh well thanks for trying to help guys, it's an annoying issue.