MacBook won't start after failed repair disk w/ installation disc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mufufu, Feb 21, 2012.

1. mufufu macrumors member

Hi guys,

My MacBook won't start at all. After I press the power button it keeps loading for several minutes (apple logo on the screen with the circling loading icon) before it turns off completely.

The problem started when I tried to repair disk using the disk utility from the installation disc. The result was "file system verify or repair failed". Afterwards I restarted the MacBook and the rest is as explained above.

However, I can still log in if I hold down the c button with the disc inside which will direct me back to the installation disc start up.

I don't know what is happening to my MB, the HD, and of course the all the files.

I hope any of you can help me urgently. Thanks so much as always.

I'm on 10.5.8, MB unibody, w/ the package installation disc (the disc somehow looks a bit dirty due to no use but I don't know whether that's relevant). Worst case scenario, how can I access the files? Unfortunately there are some files that I haven't backed up :(.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. mufufu thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I tried all the suggestions 1-6 to no result. Now I'm trying option 7 which is "7. "Repair" OS X by Booting from the install disk as in point 5. and reinstall OS X. The suggestion says "This should NOT erase any data, just replaces the system files which may have caused your booting problem.

The problem is I could not install OSX without erasing the volume. The onscreen prompts confirms that the volume will be erased completely to install the OS X.

Any further help will be greatly appreciated.

Ps: I did the hardware test and no trouble found. I haven't tried the TDM since I'm alone at the moment with no access to other machines, and I figured I should try the above option first.

4. Elbert C macrumors 6502

OS X 10.5 install dvd should have an option for an Archive and Install. You'll need some extra space on the hdd for the Previous System folder that will be created.

Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: About installation options

Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

5. mufufu, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

mufufu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I've tried all the common suggestions to no result. I guess my only hope now is to somehow be able to retrieve at least some of the files inside the HD.

For the record, my situation at the moment is a bit difficult. I'm now situated in a remote area, mining townhouse to be exact so buying stuff like DiskWarrior is no option. My mb has no FireWire, no other macs nearby. My hdd remaining space is 3gb. There's only an ext. HD and a few USB. The only thing I got is the installation disc which happens to be always inside the MB bag. Please let me know what are my options. I urgently need to retrieve some work files from the HD asap. I know, tough luck, but hopefully someone could help me. thanks again.