Macbook Won't Start and Is Making Creepy Noises!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maxdovala, Aug 21, 2008.

1. maxdovala macrumors newbie

Hey!

My macbook just shut down during a backup of its own accord, and now when i turn it on, i see a gray screen with nothing on it and it makes weird clicking/scratching noises from inside the computer. Also, I've tried turning it on 3 times, and the 2nd it made one long, ominous beep as it turned on, but on the 1st and 3rd tries it didn't. I'm so confused. Also I'm really scared, my computer cannot crash right now. Apple care is closed, so I thought I'd ask what's wrong with it here.

Thanks for your help!

2. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

3. maxdovala thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i was wondering about that...if it's a hard drive issue, will i probably lose my data since the last backup? because i just cannot afford for that to happen

4. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I believe there are ways to receive your data sometimes.
    There are programs out there that can do it, but sometimes, you lose it all.

Sorry.

5. jordand321 macrumors member

It's your hard drive if it is a grinding sound from the bottom right hand corner. Im on my third hard drive because of the same issue your having. Your going to have to take it into to apple to get it fixed and sorry to say but i think you will loose all of your data.

6. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

How much is that if you don't have Apple Care?

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the cost of a new HDD (and don't take it to apple if you don't have the warrenty, Just buy a new one and install it yourself.)

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like your harddrive is failing.

WD drives are always on sale. Yes they are great as low cost drives, but many people don't find them that great for reliability.

I buy HD with 3 or 5 year warranty.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just back up daily and yes warranty is important.

11. attackeagle macrumors newbie

I'm on my 3rd drive in 10 months of ownership. This time I just bought a 250gb WD Scorpio Black and installedit myself.
    First was from the defective seagate run and expired on day 91, second was from apple (hitachi i think) and lasted about 6 months until I accidentally set the computer down roughly. I figured it was my fault and i'd just upgrade the HD and ram for less.

Luckily I not only had a back up, but I have an external that i made a complete copy/bootable drive (with carbon copy clone) after the first one failed. I could still use the 'book until I recieved the new internal.